Pakora recipe – this is a simple, easy and basic recipe to make pakoras. No vegetables are used in this recipe but only Basic ingredients.
This is kind of a basic pakora recipe which can be adapted to make pakoras where finely chopped or shredded vegetables like Cabbage, zucchini, spring onion, spinach or Methi (fenugreek leaves) can be added. You can also use mix of these shredded vegetables to make the pakoda.
Pakora is a generic term used for deep fried fritters made in India. Mostly, gram flour is used for coating the veggies and then they are deep fried in oil. Pakora gets it name from the vegetable which is used to make it like Potato pakora, Onion pakoda, Spinach pakora etc.
For religious fasting days, the fasting flours like buckwheat flour or water chestnut flour etc are replaced with gram flour to make the pakoras.
Pakoras are usually had in rainy season or in winters. They are served with green chutney, tomato sauce or hot tea. Pakoras have to be eaten hot and crisp. You can have them as a brunch or as a snack. They can also be had with roti or chappati or bread. I served the pakoras with coconut chutney.
If you are looking for More pakoda recipes then do check:
If you made this recipe, please be sure to rate it in the recipe card below. Sign Up for my email newsletter or you can follow me on Instagram, Facebook, Youtube, Pinterest or Twitter for more vegetarian inspirations.
- 1 cup besan (gram flour)
- ½ inch ginger (adrak) - finely chopped
- 1 small to medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 green chili, (hari mirch) - chopped
- 2 tablespoon chopped coriander leaves (dhania patta)
- 2 to 3 pinch of baking soda
- water as required to make a thick flowing batter - i used slightly more than ¼ cup of water
- salt as required
- oil for deep frying the pakoras
making pakora batter:
- Mix all the ingredients listed above except oil in a mixing bowl.
- Stir with a spoon or wired whisk, to make a smooth and lump free pakora batter.
- You will have to add water depending upon the quality of besan. Make a thick flowing batter.
making pakora recipe:
- Heat oil in a kadai or pan.
- When the oil become medium hot, drop spoonfuls of the batter in the oil.
- Fry the pakoras in oil till golden and crisp.
- Drain the pakoras on paper towels to remove excess oil.
- Serve the pakoras hot with coconut chutney or coriander chutney or tomato sauce or mint chutney.
Like our videos? Then do follow and subscribe to us on youtube to get the latest Recipe Video updates.
All our content & photos are copyright protected. Please do not copy. As a blogger, if you you want to adapt this recipe or make a youtube video, then please write the recipe in your own words and give a clickable link back to the recipe on this url.
Like this Recipe?
Pin it Now to Remember it Later