orange kheer recipe with step by step photos – oranges and milk…. do you like this combination?… some of us won’t like the combination of a citrus fruit with milk…. its a little weird for me too…. like having lemons with milk…. guess what it does to your imagination.
yet lemons are more tart and sour than oranges. oranges are sweet and in this season in india we do get sweet oranges. so the combination is not as bad as you think or imagine.
and when oranges are in season, what to do with them… of course you can eat them directly without the hassle of making anything with them.
but you can also make something from the oranges which you must have never had in your life. thats what i did. and inspite of being a little unsure and uncertain, i am glad i made orange kheer.
it was simply wow… and a thought.. why i did not make this earlier? and trust me no bad side effects on the stomach 😉
i have adapted this orange kheer recipe from a small veg pocket book i have. they have a kheer section in it, which strangely has uncommon kheer recipes and orange kheer is one amongst them.
i would also like to wish belated lohri and makar sankranti to all of you. how much ever i love sweets and wanna make them at home for festive occasions, i just do not get the time to do so.
i did not even post christmas and new year sweets 🙁 i am hopeless…
orange kheer recipe details below:
orange kheer recipe
ingredients (1 cup = 250 ml)
- 500 ml milk
- 4-5 medium size oranges
- ¼ cup crushed cashew nuts
- 2 green cardamom (choti elaichi) - powdered
- sugar as required
how to make recipe
- heat the milk and allow it simmer, so that its quantity reduces to half.
- add sugar, crushed cashew nuts and cardamom.
- peel, deseed and chop the oranges finely.
- once the milk has cooled, add the chopped oranges.
- keep the orange kheer in the refrigerator and serve cold.
lets start step by step recipe of orange kheer
i have used 500 ml of milk for the recipe. you can double up the quantity if you want. you could use any sweet oranges for the recipe, indian as well as imported oranges.
1: peel the oranges. remove the pith. chop the oranges finely. whilst chopping the oranges, remove the seeds also.
2: heat the milk and then simmer, so that its quantity is reduced to half. also add sugar to the milk. i also added some crushed cashew nuts and cardamom.
3: when the quantity is reduced to half, cool the milk. you can also cool the milk in the refrigerator. add the chopped oranges to the milk when the milk has cooled.
4: mix the oranges with the kheer. and lo your orange kheer is ready. but you have to wait till you savor it.
5: keep the orange kheer in the refrigerator and serve cold.
- i started vegrecipesofindia.com in feb 2009. it is a pure vegetarian blog and shares recipes with step by step photos.
i am passionate about cooking from childhood and learnt cooking from my elders. a home science degree course further enhanced my cooking and baking skills professionally along with an internship in a five star hotel. i am trained both in mainstream indian as well as international cuisines.
all the 1800 recipes posted on blog are tried and tested and made healthy wherever possible. the recipes are detailed and with step by step pictures that will easily help you to make delicious and tasty vegetarian food.
- Festival Recipes2018.09.19bhakarwadi recipe, how to make bhakarwadi recipe | bakarwadi recipe
- Festival Recipes2018.09.05kozhukattai recipe, how to make kozhukattai recipe for ganesh chaturthi
- Dinner Recipes2018.08.01macaroni recipe | indian style macaroni recipe | macaroni pasta recipe
- Cooking Tips & Methods2018.07.24custard recipe, how to make custard | vanilla custard recipe