one pot mushroom matar makhani – a recipe made with makhani gravy or sauce is always looked forward for lunch or dinners.
sometimes i prepare the makhani recipe with veggies and sometimes with paneer/cottage cheese. the popular tried and tested makhani recipes on the blog are:
like all my recipes, this method of preparing mushroom matar makhani is slightly different. this is a smooth tomato and cream based gravy. you can also just use this recipe as a base and skip either peas or mushroom. different vegetables can be also added. either you steam them or saute them before you add to the gravy/sauce.
the amount of butter and cream added in this recipe is less. just about 1 tbsp butter and 1 tbsp low fat cream. the creaminess comes from ground cashews and tomatoes. i have also added ground onions in this recipe. the rest of the ingredients are more or less the same as added in a makhani gravy.
it is best served with tandoori rotis or naan or ghee rice or even with rotis. this recipe can also be made on special occasions.
there is also a homely and easy punjabi style matar mushroom recipe on the blog which is an everyday curry.
how to make one pot mushroom matar makhani
1. heat oil in a pan and add the mushrooms.
2. the mushroom would release their juices first.
3. when the juices dry up and the oil is seen, saute the mushroom further till they get light golden at the edges. remove them and keep aside.
4. in the same pan in which the mushrooms were sauteed, add 1 tbsp butter. add bay leaf and saute for a few seconds.
5. add the onion-ginger-garlic paste.
6. saute stirring often till the paste becomes golden.
7. then add the tomato-cashew paste. this is a thick and smooth paste. remember to ground the cashews very well. there should be no small bits of cashews in it. stir and saute.
8. still stirring and sauteing the paste.
9. saute, stirring till the oil begins to leave the sides of the paste. add all the spice powders – red chili powder, turmeric, garam masala and coriander powder.
10. stir and saute for 2-3 minutes more. the whole mixture would come together as one mass with the fat being seen at the sides.
11. add the water, salt and sugar.
12. stir and add the sauteed mushrooms and cooked peas.
13. add slit green chilies.
14. simmer till the gravy thickens. then add the crushed kasuri methi (dry fenugreek leaves), cream and julienned ginger. simmer for half a minute.
15. serve hot with rotis or tandoori rotis or naan or cumin rice or saffron rice or ghee rice.
more indian curry recipes
One Pot Mushroom Matar Makhani
- 200 to 250 grams mushrooms
- 1 cup peas
- 2 large ripe red tomatoes
- 1 medium onion
- 12 to 15 whole cashews
- 1 inch ginger
- 3 to 4 garlic
- ½ inch ginger, julienned
- 1 green chili, slit
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ½ teaspoon deghi mirch or kashmiri red chili powder OR ¼ teaspoon red chili powder
- ½ teaspoon coriander powder (ground coriander)
- ¼ teaspoon garam masala powder
- ½ teaspoon kasuri methi, crushed (dry fenugreek leaves)
- 1 tej patta (indian bay leaf)
- 1 to 2 tablespoon low fat cream
- 1.5 cups water
- 1 teaspoon regular sugar or organic unrefined cane sugar or as required
- 2 tablespoon oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- salt as required
- soak cashews in hot water for 30 mins.
- rinse the mushrooms very well. wipe them and then chop them.
- heat 2 tbsp oil in a pan. add the mushrooms and saute till they become light golden.
- the mushrooms would first begin to release its juices.
- when the juices dry up and the oil is seen, saute the mushroom further till they get light golden at the edges. remove them and keep aside.
- steam or cook the peas (matar) till they are tender. drain and keep aside.
- make a paste of the onion, ginger and garlic with 1 tbsp water in a grinder or blender.
- drain the soaked cashews. add to a grinder or blender and make a paste of the tomatoes and cashews.
- no need to add water while making the tomato-cashew paste. the juices of the tomatoes would be enough to make the paste.
- make sure the cashews are ground thoroughly and there should be no bits and pieces of cashews in the paste.
making one pot mushroom matar makhani
- in the same pan which we fried mushrooms, add 1 tbsp butter. melt the butter.
- add bay leaf and saute for a few seconds.
- add the onion-ginger-garlic paste and saute stirring often till the paste becomes golden.
- then add the tomato-cashew paste and saute stirring till the oil leaves the sides of the paste.
- add all the spice powders - red chili powder, turmeric, garam masala and coriander powder.
- stir and saute for 2-3 minutes more.
- the whole mixture would come together as one mass with the fat being seen at the sides.
- add the water, salt and sugar.
- stir and then add green chilies. simmer till the makhani gravy thickens.
- then add the crushed kasuri methi, cream and julienned ginger.
- stir and simmer the curry for half a minute.
- serve hot with naan or chapati or cumin rice.