This is again one of those everyday recipes and pretty easy to prepare. One of my mom’s recipes which I often make. Although I have added potatoes in the dish to make it more filling. But you can also make this dish only with moong sprouts.
I always sprout, moong beans at home. though if you have lack of time, then you can buy moong sprouts from super stores. If you are new to sprouting beans, then you can check this post on How to sprout moong beans at home.
Moong bean sprouts are versatile and you can just add a handful to your pulaos, curries, soups and salads. Most of the times I add them to salad, vegetable soup & pulao. Exclusively with them, I make usal, sprouts salad, Sprouts chaat or this sabzi or bhaji as we call in marathi language.
You can Serve moong sprouts sabzi with rotis, parathas or as a side dish. You can have them with bread also. This dish also goes well in the tiffin box.
Few more similar recipes are:
If you made this recipe, please be sure to rate it in the recipe card below. Sign Up for my email newsletter or you can follow me on Instagram, Facebook, Youtube, Pinterest or Twitter for more vegetarian inspirations.
moong sprouts sabzi
- 160 grams sprouted moong beans or 1 heaped cup sprouted moong beans
- 2 small potatoes
- 1 small tomato or ¼ cup diced tomato
- 1 small to medium onion or 1/3 cup chopped onions
- ½ inch ginger - finely chopped
- 6 to 8 garlic - finely chopped
- 1 green chili - chopped
- 1.5 teaspoon goda masala or ½ teaspoon garam masala powder
- ½ teaspoon coriander powder (ground coriander)
- ½ teaspoon cumin powder (ground cumin)
- ½ teaspoon red chili powder or cayenne pepper
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder (ground turmeric)
- a pinch of asafoetida (hing) - optional
- 1.5 tablespoon oil
- 1 to 1.25 cups water or add as required
- 1 to 2 tablespoon chopped coriander leaves (cilantro leaves)
- salt as required
- Chop all tomato, onion, ginger, garlic and green chili. Keep aside.
- Heat 1.5 tbsp oil in a pan. Add the finely chopped garlic and ginger. Stir and saute till the raw aroma of both goes away.
- Then add chopped onions, green chilies and a pinch of asafoetida. Stir and saute till the onions become translucent.
- Meanwhile, when the onions are getting sauteed, rinse the moong sprouts.
- So the onions have got translucent, add the diced tomatoes.
- Then add 1/2 tsp coriander powder, 1/2 tsp cumin powder, 1/2 tsp red chili powder, 1/4 tsp turmeric powder and 1.5 tsp goda masala. If you don't have goda masala then add 1/2 tsp garam masala powder.
- Stir and mix everything very well.
- Then add the potato cubes and moong sprouts. stir again.
- Add 1 to 1.5 cups water. Stir. season with salt.
- Cover and simmer on a low to medium flame till the moong sprouts are done.
- Then add chopped coriander leaves.
- Stir once more. The sprouts sabzi can be made dry or with some gravy. I usually keep a little stock as you see in the below pic. But if you prefer for a dry sabzi, then simmer on a medium flame till all water & moisture evaporate.
- Serve moong sprouts sabzi with chapatis or parathas.
Like our videos? Then do follow and subscribe to us on youtube to get the latest Recipe Video updates.
All our content & photos are copyright protected. Please do not copy. As a blogger, if you you want to adapt this recipe or make a youtube video, then please write the recipe in your own words and give a clickable link back to the recipe on this url.
How to make moong sprouts sabzi recipe
1. chop all the following ingredients and keep aside – 1 small tomato, 1 small onion, 6 to 8 garlic, ½ inch ginger and 1 green chili.
2. heat 1.5 tbsp oil in a pan. Add the chopped garlic and ginger. Stir and saute till the raw aroma of both goes away.
3. Then add chopped onions, green chilies and a pinch of asafoetida. Stir and saute till the onions become translucent.
4. meanwhile, when the onions are getting sauteed, rinse the moong sprouts.
5. so the onions have got translucent here and we proceed to the next step.
6. add the diced tomatoes.
7. then add ½ tsp coriander powder, ½ tsp cumin powder, ½ tsp red chili powder, ¼ tsp turmeric powder and 1.5 tsp goda masala. If you don’t have goda masala then add ½ tsp garam masala powder. I usually add goda masala in this recipe and it gives a good aroma, flavor and taste. In the absence of goda masala, you can easily substitute with garam masala. As an option, you could also add about 1 to 2 tbsp of desiccated or fresh coconut.
8. stir and mix everything very well.
9. then add the potato cubes. 2 small potatoes, chopped in cubes.
10. then add 1 heaped cup of moong sprouts.
11. stir again.
12. add 1 to 1.25 cups water. Stir.
13. then add salt as required.
14. cover and simmer on a low to medium flame till the moong sprouts are cooked. Do check a couple of times whilst the bean sprouts are cooking. If required then add some more water.
15. once done, add 1 or 2 tbsp chopped coriander leaves.
16. stir once more. The sprouts sabzi can be made dry or with some gravy. I usually keep a little stock as you see in the below pic. But if you prefer for a dry sabzi, then simmer on a medium flame till all water & moisture evaporate.
17. Serve moong sprouts sabzi with rotis, parathas or as a side dish. You can have the moong sprouts bhaji with bread also.