easy moong dal khichdi recipe – a simple and very easy moong dal khichdi recipe for ganesh chaturthi festival. this moong dal khichdi is prepared as a naivedyam for lord ganesha and is made using minimal ingredients and spices. this is a no onion no garlic khichdi recipe.
this khichdi recipe has been shared by a maharashtrian friend to me and she makes this recipe on the 1st day of ganesh chaturthi festival. in their home, they offer this khichdi as a naivedyam or bhog to lord ganesh along with modak….. modak and ladoos being the most favorite food of lord ganesha.
since this is a very basic khichdi recipe with just five ingredients, she has suggested that it is best to make the khichdi with ghee… as there are no other flavorings used except for cumin seeds and turmeric. if you are a vegan then substitute the ghee with oil.
as far as taste is concerned, you can make this moong dal khichdi recipe on any day as it tastes too good. goes extremely well with a bowl of yogurt.
you can serve this moong dal khichdi recipe with plain curd or raita like pomegranate raita or vegetable raita or even a side salad or pickle.
easy moong dal khichdi
Ingredients (1 cup = 250 ml)
- ½ cup broken basmati rice or whole rice
- ½ cup moong dal (split and husked green gram)
- 1.5 to 2 tablespoons ghee or oil, real flavor comes with the ghee as this khichdi has minimal ingredients
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi)
- ¾ to 1 teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera)
- rock salt or regular salt as required
How to Make Recipe
- rinse both the rice and dal together for a couple of times in water.
- heat the ghee or oil in a pressure cooker.
- crackle the cumin first. add the turmeric powder and stir.
- add the rice and moong dal. saute for a minute.
- add 4 to 4.5 cups water. season with salt.
- stir and then pressure cook the khichdi for 5-6 whistles till both the rice and moong dal have reached a mashable consistency like a porridge.
- when the pressure settles down, open the lid and check the moong dal khichdi.
- if its too thick, then add some water and stir well.
- keep on sim or low flame to simmer the khichdi till you get the right consistency.
- the consistency can be adjusted as per your choice by adding less or more water. some people prefer thick and some thin consistency.
- serve moong dal khichdi with a plain bowl of yogurt or raita.
- when serving khichdi you can add a 1 or 2 tsp of ghee in the serving bowls or plates.
- this recipe of khichdi has been made in the pressure cooker. if making in a pot, then soak the mung dal and rice for 45 mins to 1 hour. proceed with the tempering of cumin seeds in the pot. then add dal and rice. add about 5 to 6 cups water and cover and cook the khichdi till the rice and mung dal are cooked till really soft and of a porridge consistency.
- add more water if required if the khichdi becomes lumpy or too thick. keep on stirring at regular intervals during the entire cooking process.