Mint coriander raita recipe with step by step photos. This raita has a refreshing minty taste and a subtle lemony flavor from the fresh coriander leaves. This combo gives a slight punch and takes something as basic & simple like raita, to a completely new level. Instead of just a side accompanying dish, this raita stands out because of its strong flavors.
Most of the raitas are not very strong and usually are subtle, mild and have a soft presence to be served as a side dish. But This raita has very strong flavors.
Best is to pair this raita with something light and mild main course. A few suggestions would be light rice dishes like vegetable pulao, peas pulao, jeera rice. It can go well with khichdi too.
If pairing this mint coriander raita with a biryani then don’t serve with a highly flavored and spiced biryani. i had made this raita to go with Kashmiri biryani which is mild and does not make use of onions, garlic and tomatoes.
How to make mint coriander raita
1. Measure and keep all the ingredients ready for making the raita.
2. Rinse ¾ cup mint leaves, ½ cup coriander leaves and 1 chopped green chili with water. you can also rinse them in a colander.
3. In a blender jar add the mint leaves, coriander leaves and green chili.
4. Add very less water for grinding.
5. Grind till smooth.
6. In a big bowl or vessel – take 1 cup yogurt (curd). The curd should be fresh and not sour.
7. Whisk the yogurt till smooth.
8. Add 1 medium sized onion (chopped) in the yogurt.
9. Then add ¼ teaspoon red chili powder, ½ teaspoon roasted cumin powder, ½ teaspoon chaat masala powder and black salt or rock salt as required.
10. Stir and mix the spice powders very well.
11. Now add the ground mint-coriander paste in the spiced yogurt.
12. Mix well.
12. while serving you can garnish with a few mint leaves or coriander leaves.
14. Serve the Mint coriander raita with some lightly spiced dish. You can also chill the raita and then serve later.
If you are looking similar recipes then do check:
mint coriander raita
- ¾ cup mint leaves
- ½ cup coriander leaves (cilantro leaves)
- 1 green chili, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- ½ teaspoon roasted cumin powder - or as required
- ½ teaspoon chaat masala powder or as required
- ¼ teaspoon red chili powder - or as required
- 1 cup curd (yogurt - dairy or vegan) - i used cashew curd
- black salt or rock salt or sendha namak as required
- Grind the mint, coriander & green chili with some water to a smooth consistency.
- Add very less water while grinding.
- Whisk yogurt till smooth.
- Add the ground mint + coriander + green chili paste.
- Then add the chopped onions, all the spice powders and salt. Mix very well.
- Stir and serve the mint coriander raita with some lightly spiced dish.
- You can also chill the raita and then serve later.