I came across this Upma recipe in a booklet, I received with my microwave cooker. I tried some of the recipes, listed there and the results were good.
So i thought of trying upma recipe also from this book and as per my expectations the upma turned out to be very good. Now i have tried this upma recipe many times and it has never failed me. My hubby who is from north india has slowly become fond of upma now :-). We usually have upma with tea and coconut chutney or sambar.
Making upma in microwave takes a little less time than making the upma in the traditional way. But I prefer the traditional method. I have already posted the recipe for making upma in the usual way and here is its link: Rava Upma. You can also check Oats Upma, Vermicelli Upma and Bread Upma Recipe.
If you are looking for more breakfast recipes then do check:
INGREDIENTS FOR Microwave Upma
- 1 cup semolina (sooji or rava)
- 1 medium sized onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 inch ginger/adrak, chopped
- 1 or 2 green chilies, chopped
- 1 sprig curry leaves/kadi patta
- 2.5 cups water
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds/rai
- 6 to 7 cashews/kaju
- 2 tbsp oil
- salt as required
HOW TO MAKE Microwave Upma
- Roast the semolina (sooji, rawa) in a microwave safe bowl or microwave cooker on high power for 3 minutes. Remove in a plate and keep aside. The rava should become fragrant.
- Take oil in the same container. Add mustard seeds and micro high for 1 minute. If the mustard seeds do not crackle, then microwave for half a minute to 1 minute more.
- Add chopped onions, green chilly, curry leaves, cashew nuts and micro high for 1 minute.
- Add water, add salt and micro high for 5 minutes.
- Add the roasted rava. Cover with the lid and micro high for 3 minutes.
- Give a standing time for 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle coriander leaves and serve upma hot with coconut chutney or sambar.