I made this Masala lassi with jaggery for Holi festival. Lassi is a standard drink on the Holi menu and yes sometimes with bhang. In our home, we do not add bhang to the lassi, but most folks do.
For the uninitiated… Bhang is an intoxicant and is made from the leaves and flowers of the female cannabis plant. It is very common to have bhang during Holi and also during Maha Shivratri.
This one is a sweet recipe for Masala lassi and not the salty one. This is my dear friend soma’s recipe again. She would make it for us when she was in India. When I first had this lassi, I simply loved it.
Thats because I like strong and intense flavors… Like chocolates… And this lassi has that…. Don’t get me wrong. It does not have a chocolate flavor, but it has a strong aroma and taste of a sweet and healthy ingredient about which I will write below.
Here a few spices go into the making of the lassi and thats why its called as Masala lassi. Since it is a sweet preparation I haven’t used any herbs.
Other popular variations of lassi you can try are:
A few spices and they completely overtake the humble yogurt. You just have to crush the cardamom in the mortar & pestle. Crush the pepper in a peppermill or mortar-pestle. Plus grate the nutmeg. So this way, you don’t have any leftover spice powder.
The main ingredient which brings out an earthy and an intense flavor in the masala lassi is Palm jaggery. It complements the spices very well and you have a strong lassi which you are going to love.
I know palm jaggery is not available everywhere… In this scenario do make the masala lassi with jaggery. Although palm jaggery has a much different taste than jaggery, sometimes we have to use substitutes.
Palm jaggery is a base for most of the Goan sweets along with coconut and rice flour. It is also rich in calcium and iron. It can be easily used as a replacement for sugar.
This is an easy breezy recipe and within 5 minutes your masala jaggery lassi is ready. Use chilled curd to make the lassi. In this case, you don’t have to chill the lassi afterward and also no need to add ice cubes.
You can serve masala jaggery lassi directly after blending it.
If you are looking for more Beverages Then do check:
Masala Lassi with jaggery
- 3 cups chilled curd (yogurt)
- 3 to 4 small cardamoms - crushed
- 6 to 7 black peppercorns - powdered or ¼ teaspoon black pepper powder or cayenne pepper
- 1 to 2 pinch grated nutmeg
- 2 tablespoon chopped dry fruits like almonds, cashew, pistachois
- few strands of saffron
- crushed palm jaggery as per taste
- In a blender add all the ingredients along with some strands of saffron.
- You can add 1 or 2 tbsp of water, if you want a little thin lassi.
- Blend till smooth.
- You can also whisk everything with an egg whisker till smooth.
- Don't overdo the blending.
- When done serve chilled masala jaggery lassi in glasses, topped with some dry fruits and saffron and if you like some cream or malai.