mango halwa or mango sheera recipe – yet another delicious mango recipe. this is a sweet and smooth pudding with mango flavors made with rava (semolina), ripe mangoes, sugar, ghee and milk.
this mango halwa recipe is just exactly the way we make halwa. the only addition is of mango pulp. so what you get is a halwa with mango taste, flavors and aroma.
this mango halwa was made my mom when she visited us. like most indian women, she does not use measuring spoons or cups for measuring the ingredients. so she gave me approximate measures. i have quantitatively deduced the measurements. another similar recipe i prepare at times is this mango kesari.
here the large variety of indian mangoes were used. for a halwa, any mango with a good firm texture and flesh can be used. just don’t use mangoes which are fibrous. alphonso or kesar mangoes would also be good.
if you are looking for more halwa recipes then do check:
INGREDIENTS FOR mango halwa
- 1 cup fine sooji (rava or semolina)
- 1 medium sized or large alphonso mango (or any other variety), chopped and pureed
- ½ cup sugar or as required
- 2 tablespoon ghee or oil
- 1 cup milk - 250 ml milk
- 1.5 cups water
- dry fruits - cashews, raisins, charoli (chironji) as required
- 1 pinch saffron (kesar)
- 3-4 green cardamoms (choti elaichi)
- a few pomegranate arils for garnish
HOW TO MAKE mango halwa
- powder the cardamom and discard the husks.
- heat ghee or oil in a thick bottomed pan.
- add the sooji or rava and fry till they change color and you get a lovely aroma.
- add dry fruits and continue to fry for a few minutes.
- heat 1.5 cups of water separately.
- add this hot water to the sooji and dry fruits mixture. stir well.
- add milk and sugar. continue to stir.
- the semolina absorbs both water and milk and will swell.
- you have to stir continuously so that the mixture does not stick at the bottom of the pan.
- after 1 or 2 minutes, add mango pulp.
- stir again well and ensure that the mango pulp is mixed well.
- add cardamom powder and saffron.
- stir till the moisture reduces.
- cover with a lid and cook mango sheera for 1 or 2 minutes more.
- garnish mango halwa with extra cashews or pomergranate arils.
- serve the mango halwa hot, warm or even cold.