mango dal recipe – i feel good to share recipes which i have grown up with. this mango dal is one of them. my mom’s recipe… would just love this sour dal with rice and some side veggie.
the mangoes used are unripe green raw mangoes. we also add some drumsticks (moringa oleifera) to the dal. don’t go by the light yellow color of the mangoes in the pic below. these mangoes were very sour.
this mango dal is made with turvar dal or arhar dal (pigeon pea lentils). the dal is cooked first, then tempered and later simmered with raw mangoes and drumsticks. lastly freshly grated coconut is added to the dal. but this part is optional. i love coconut in any dal and so obviously i have added coconut to the mango dal too 🙂
the mango dal goes very well with basmati rice. an excellent dish to be made in the summers when we have the availability of raw mangoes.
apart from the sliced mango pieces, we also add the seeds. the seeds have flesh on them and when cooked the flesh becomes so soft. its actually fun having the flesh from the seed…. the tartness and sourness of it is still retained after cooking.
so the result is a dal which has the sourness of mangoes and a hint of sweetness from the drumsticks and coconut.
a small tip from my mom while cooking arhar dal/pigeon pea lentils to make it more better and tasty: when pressure cooking add half of the onion with a pinch of asafoetida to the dal. this changes the flavor and taste of the dal remarkably. later you could temper and prepare the dal any way you want.
mango dal recipe below:
mango dal recipe
INGREDIENTS FOR mango dal recipe
for pressure cooking dal:
- ½ cup arhar dal (husked and split pigeon peas)
- 3 tablespoons chopped or thinly sliced onions
- 1 pinch of asafoetida (hing)
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi)
- 1.5 to 1.75 cups water for pressure cooking dal
other ingredients for mango dal:
- 2 small raw mangoes or 1 medium sized raw mango, sliced
- 2 to 3 drumsticks, chopped in 3 to 4 inch pieces
- 1 medium to large tomato, diced
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated coconut - optional
- 1 to 1.25 cups water, for cooking mangoes and drumsticks or add as required
- ½ to ⅔ cup water to be added to the dal later to get the consistency you want - optional
- 2 tablespoons chopped coriander leaves, for garnish
- salt as required
for tempering mango dal:
- 2 tablespoons oil
- ½ teaspoon mustard seeds (rai or sarson)
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera)
- 3 tablespoons chopped onions
- 2 to 3 small to medium sized garlic cloves, crushed lightly (lahsun)
- 1 to 2 green chilies, chopped (hari mirch)
- 1 to 2 dry red chiles, halved and deseeded (sukhi lal mirch)
- 1 sprig of curry leaves (kadi patta)
- a pinch of asafoetida (hing)
HOW TO MAKE mango dal recipe
pressuring cooking dal:
- pick and rinse the lentils couple of times in water.
- pressure cook the lentils with water, chopped onions, a pinch of asafoetida and turmeric till the dal is cooked completely. mash the dal and keep aside.
cooking drumsticks and mangoes:
- in a pan heat oil. add mustard seeds and let them splutter. then add cumin seeds and fry them till they get browned.
- add chopped onions. sauté the onions till they soften and turn translucent.
- now add the crushed garlic, curry leaves, green chilies, red chilies and a pinch of asafoetida.
- fry till the raw aroma from garlic goes away or garlic turn light golden. now add the tomatoes and sauté for a minute. then add the chopped unripe mangoes and drumsticks. add salt as per taste.
- add 1 to 1.25 cups water or as required. mix well.
- do check in between when the drumsticks are cooking. if the water is less or dries up and the drumsticks are not yet cooked, then add some water and continue to cover and cook.
making mango dal:
- when the drumsticks have cooked and tender, then add the mashed dal. mix very well. simmer till the entire dal comes to a boil. stir at intervals. if dal looks thick, then add some water.
- finally add some freshly grated coconut to the dal. simmer for a minute or two.
- garnish the mango dal with chopped coriander leaves.
- serve mango dal with steamed rice.
- cover and cook till the drumsticks are tender and cooked well. the mangoes will also be cooked.