Thai lemongrass rice recipe with step by step photos – this is beautiful fragrant rice made with lemongrass stems. Gluten-free and vegan.
This is a Thai recipe and I had made the rice with another Thai recipe pat pet takrai (stir-fried vegetables and tofu with lemongrass stalks).
It is a simple and quick rice recipe. Lemongrass stem is a common ingredient used in Thai cooking. It is a fragrant stem and infuses a lovely lemony aroma in the food. Even when you are chopping it, you can get this lemony aroma.
In fact, I have always used lemongrass in our everyday tea. we have lemongrass tea quite often at our place. I have never used lemongrass in any other Indian recipe till now. For the first time I have added lemongrass stem in a rice based dish.
I do venture sometimes in other cuisines. Thai food is a personal favorite. I am also planning to cook the Thai red curry and Thai green curry soon. One of my favorite Thai curry recipes. I adapted this lemongrass rice recipe from Here. whilst, I did not have the fragrant jasmine rice, I used instead of another fragrant rice – basmati rice.
You need to know how to chop the lemongrass stem. check out this nice article with pictures on How to chop and prepare lemon grass stem for cooking. I used the fleshy part to make the Pat pet takrai and the upper end of the stalk to make this fragrant Lemongrass rice. I separated the layers of the stalks and added them to the rice.
How to make lemongrass rice
1. Clean wash and soak the rice in water for 15 to 20 mins. Then drain the rice and keep aside. Rinse the lemongrass stem first. Chop the lemongrass stem.
2. In a pressure cooker add the rice, salt and lemongrass stalks.
3. Add water and sesame oil.
4. Pressure cook for 2 to 3 whistles on a low to medium flame. I have kept the rice grains slightly sticky as that’s how we like this rice with Thai curries. If you want separate grains then cook for 2 whistles.
5. When the pressure settles on its own, remove the lid. Fluff and discard the lemongrass stalks before serving. Serve the aromatic lemongrass rice hot with your choice of any Thai vegetable dish or stir-fried dish. I served this lemony Lemongrass rice with pat pet takrai and black bean sauce.
More rice recipes
If you made this recipe, please be sure to rate it in the recipe card below. Sign Up for my email newsletter or you can follow me on Instagram, Facebook, Youtube, Pinterest or Twitter for more vegetarian inspirations.
- 1 cup basmati rice
- handful of lemongrass stalks obtained from 1 to 2 lemon grass stems
- 1.75 cups to 2 of water
- salt (optional)
- a few drops of sesame oil (optional)
- Clean wash and soak the rice in water for 15 to 20 mins. Then drain the rice and keep aside. Rinse the lemongrass stem first. Chop the lemon grass stem.
- In a pressure cooker add the rice and lemongrass stalks.
- Add water, salt and sesame oil.
- Pressure cook for 2 to 3 whistles on a low to medium flame. I have kept the rice grains slightly sticky as thats how we like this rice with thai curries. If you want separate grains then cook for 2 whistles.
- When the pressure settles on its own, remove the lid. Fluff and discard the lemongrass stalks before serving. Serve the aromatic lemongrass rice hot with your choice of any thai vegetable dish or stir fried dish.
Like our videos? Then do follow and subscribe to us on youtube to get the latest Recipe Video updates.
All our content & photos are copyright protected. Please do not copy. As a blogger, if you you want to adapt this recipe or make a youtube video, then please write the recipe in your own words and give a clickable link back to the recipe on this url.
Like this Recipe?
Pin it Now to Remember it Later