Lasooni dal recipe with step by step photos – an easy and tasty dal recipe with flavors of garlic in it. The lasooni dal is made from tuvar dal (arhar dal or pigeon pea lentils).
If you prefer & are fond of garlic in your food, then you will like this dal recipe.
I often add lahsun/garlic and onions in the dals which I prepare, unless I make a no onion no garlic version. There is a quite an amount of garlic added in this recipe, both while cooking the lentils and when tempering.
Usually when I make this dal, I don’t add any tangy ingredient like tomatoes or lemon juice. If you prefer a slight tang, then you can add some lemon juice, once the dal is made. If adding tomatoes, then just add them when pressure cooking the lentils.
There is also a quick and easy one pot version of Garlic dal recipe already posted, in which no tempering is done.
How to make lasooni dal
1. Add rinsed tuvar dal (arhar dal), onions, garlic, green chillies, turmeric and asafoetida in a 2-litre pressure cooker.
2. Add water.
3. Pressure cook the lentils for 10 to 11 minutes or 8 to 9 whistles till you get a smooth mashable consistency in the dal.
4. Mash the dal with a spoon or wired whisk. If the dal becomes thick, you can add some hot water and make it medium consistency. You can also have a thick consistency of this dal if you prefer. Season with salt. Stir and keep aside.
Tempering the lasooni dal
5. Heat ghee or oil in a small pan. Splutter the cumin seeds first.
6. Then add garlic.
7. Saute the garlic for some seconds. Lightly browned garlic is also fine.
8. Switch off the flame and add red chilli powder, asafoetida (hing) and crushed dry fenugreek leaves (kasuri methi). Stir.
9. Pour the entire tempering in the lasooni dal. Stir.
10. Garnish with coriander leaves and Serve lasooni dal hot with steamed basmati rice or fragrant rice like ambe mohur. You can also serve this dal with roti and bread too. While serving you can drizzle some lemon juice.
If you are looking for more Dal recipes then do check:
If you made this recipe, please be sure to rate it in the recipe card below. If you want more delicious vegetarian Indian recipes delivered straight to your inbox, Sign Up for my email newsletter.
Like this Recipe?
Pin it Now to Remember it Later
for cooking lentils
- ½ cup arhar dal (pigeon pea lentils or tuhar dal)
- 1.5 to 1.75 cups water for pressure cooking the lentils
- 1 to 1.5 tablespoons garlic - finely chopped
- ¼ cup finely chopped onions
- 1 to 2 green chillies - chopped or slit
- 1 pinch asafoetida (hing)
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- salt as required
tempering the lasooni dal
- 1 teaspoon garlic - finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- 1.5 to 2 tablespoons ghee
- ½ teaspoon kashmiri red chilli powder
- 1 pinch asafoedita (hing)
- ½ teaspoon dry fenugreek leaves - crushed (kasuri methi)
- ½ to 1 tablespoon chopped coriander leaves - for garnish
- ½ teaspoon lemon juice or as required - optional
- Add rinsed tuvar/arhar dal, onions, garlic, green chillies, turmeric and asafoetida/hing in a 2 litre pressure cooker.
- Add water. Pressure cook the lentils for 10 to 11 minutes or 8 to 9 whistles till you get a smooth mashable consistency in the dal.
- Mash the dal with a spoon or wired whisk.
- If the dal become thick, you can add some hot water and make it medium consistency. You can also have a thick consistency of this dal, if you prefer. Season with salt. Stir and keep aside.
making dal lasooni
- Heat ghee or oil in a small pan. Splutter the cumin first.
- Then add garlic. Saute the garlic for some seconds. A light brown garlic is also fine.
- Switch off the flame and add red chili powder, asafoetida (hing) and dry fenugreek leaves (kasuri methi). Stir.
- Pour the entire tempering in the lasooni dal. Stir.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve dal lasooni hot, with steamed basmati rice or a fragrant rice like ambe mohur. You can also serve it with rotis and bread too.
- You can also add some lemon juice to the dal toward the end, to give a slight tang to dal lasooni.
Like our videos? Then do follow and subscribe to us on youtube to get the latest Recipe Video updates.
All our content & photos are copyright protected. Please do not copy. As a blogger, if you you want to adapt this recipe or make a youtube video, then please write the recipe in your own words and give a clickable link back to the recipe on this url.