microwave kothimbir vadi recipe with step by step photos – one more favorite and delicious snack from maharashtra. kothimbir is the marathi word for coriander leaves.
kothimbir vadi are basically coriander fritters. here the chickpea flour batter having coriander leaves and spices is steamed first and then cut into wedges, later to be fried till crisp.
back home, we always used to have these vadis with tomato sauce. it can also be had with coconut chutney or green chutney or sweet tamarind chutney or curd. in mumbai in many maharashtrian sweet shops, one can gets to snack the kothimbir vadis.
the kothimbir vadis can be steamed in a cooker or pan like we do for khaman dhokla. but i steamed the batter in the microwave oven. i pan fried the vadis instead of shallow or deep frying. i have also shared the traditional steamed version of making kothimbir vadis.
when I have to make steamed snacks like vadis or dhoklas, i prefer the microwave oven. it is less of the pots and pans to clean and is hassle free. plus quick too.
if you don’t want to fry, you can have the steamed vadis as they are. they still taste delicious. but frying them makes them crisp & the texture as well as the taste changes for the better.
so when you crave for a quick delicious snack or finger food, do try this kothimbir vadi.
if you are looking for Maharashtrian Recipes then do check:
kothimbir vadi in microwave
INGREDIENTS FOR kothimbir vadi in microwave
- ¼ cup roasted crushed peanuts (optional)
- 1 teaspoon ginger+ green chilli paste
- 1.5 cups coriander leaves (cilantro leaves or dhania patta), chopped
- 1 pinch asafoetida (hing)
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi)
- ½ teaspoon red chili powder (lal mirch powder)
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds (til)
- salt as required
- 2 cups gram flour (besan), add more if required
- 1 to 1.25 cups water or add as required
HOW TO MAKE kothimbir vadi in microwave
- mix together all the ingredients with water to form a smooth and thick batter.
- apply oil at the base and sides of a microwave safe cooker or bowl.
- add the batter mixture in the microwave safe bowl or cooker.
- cover it with its lid or a microwave safe lid.
- microwave on high for 3 minutes or till done.
- the mixture should be cooked and firm.
- insert a knife or toothpick and if it comes out clean, the vadi is cooked well.
- if after 3 mins, the batter has yet not cooked, then microwave for a minute or two.
- let it cool. then remove the steamed cake on a tray.
- cut it into diamond shaped or square shaped slices.
- shallow fry or deep fry or pan fry in hot oil till crisp and browned.
- serve kothimbir vadi hot with green chutney or tomato sauce..
- you can steam in the pressure cooker also like you steam idlis or dhoklas.
how to make kothimbir vadi in microwave
1. rinse coriander leaves very well in water.
2. drain them on a colander and place aside.
3. heat a tawa or a pan and keep the flame to a low or medium. add ¼ cup peanuts.
4. stir at intervals and roast till the peanuts become crunchy. allow them to cool.
5. rub the peanuts in your palms. this will remove the flaky skin. now add the peanuts in a small grinder jar.
6. grind to a coarse powder. you can also grind to a fine powder but don’t grind them for long else the peanuts will become peanut butter. remove the peanut powder and keep aside.
7. pestle ginger and green chilies with a mortar till coarse paste is formed. alternatively you can also grind into a blender till smooth. just add 1 to 2 tablespoons water if using the blender.
8. i have crushed them in a mortar – pestle. you will need 1 teaspoon ginger+ green chilli paste.
9. measure and keep all the ingredients ready for making the kothimbir vadi recipe.
10. now take 1.5 cups of finely chopped coriander leaves in a mixing bowl or vessel.
1o. add the coarse or fine peanut powder. also add crushed ginger+green chili paste.
11. add 1 pinch asafoetida (hing), ½ teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi), ½ teaspoon red chili powder, 1 tablespoon sesame seeds (til) and salt as required.
12. lastly add 2 cups gram flour (besan).
13. mix well with a spoon.
14. pour ½ cup water in parts and begin to mix the batter.
15. i have used about 1 cup water. add water as required and in parts. if the batter is very thin then add some gram flour and if the batter is very thick then add little water. mix very well with a wired whisk or spoon to a thick and smooth batter.
making kothimbir vadi in microwave
16. apply oil at the base and sides of a microwave safe cooker or bowl.
17. add the batter mixture in the microwave safe bowl or cooker.
18. cover it with its lid or a microwave safe lid. microwave on high for 3 minutes or till done.
19. the mixture should be cooked and firm.
20. insert a knife or toothpick and if it comes out clean, the kothimbir vadi is cooked well. if after 3 minutes, the batter has yet not cooked, then microwave for a minute or two.
21. let the kothimbir vadi cool. you can cut it into diamond shaped or square shaped slices in the mold itself. then gently remove the kothimbir vadis one by one with the help of spatula or knife. alternatively you can gently remove the entire layer on a plate. with a butter knife loosen the edges and invert the pan on a plate. tap the pan and unmold the layer then cut them into squares or diamond shaped slices.
22. heat 3 tablespoons oil in a tawa or a pan. i have pan fried the kothimbir vadis but you can also shallow fry or deep fry them.
23. place the steamed kothimbir vadis on the pan.
24. shallow fry or deep fry or pan fry in hot oil till crisp and browned on medium flame.
25. when the base is golden flip and fry the other side. flip a couple of times more and fry till the sides are crisp and golden.
26. place the fried kothimbir vadis on kitchen paper towels to absorb extra oil.
27. fry the rest of vadis in the same manner. serve kothimbir vadi hot with green chutney or tomato sauce.