Kale leaves recipe – kale leaves and button mushrooms in a lightly spiced ginger sauce. I had made this kale & mushrooms in ginger sauce as an accompanying side dish with schezwan fried rice.
I sometimes make mushroom in ginger sauce or garlic sauce, when I make veg fried rice or schezwan fried rice. Basically the recipe is just mushrooms in ginger sauce, where I have added kale leaves.
So before you ask me where did I manage to buy kale in India, I will give you the link. Kale is not easily available in India. I buy a few vegetables from a website and it was here, that I found the kale leaves. I brought it many times thereafter.
Usually I add them to dal and make a kale dal. Similar to the way we make spinach dal. I have also made kale pakoras. I purchase kale from the greentokri website.
I don’t know what is kale called in Hindi. Basically kale is a relative of the cabbage family. However, unlike cabbage, there is no head formation in kale. It has dark green or purple curled leaves with bitter notes and a chewy texture. The bitterness is not like the bitterness of bitter gourd or karela. Its mildly bitter and eatable. For an Indian taste that is used to having bitter stuff like Karela (bitter gourd) or Neem (Margosa Leaves) , kale is easily eatable. The taste is also somewhat like the taste of drumstick leaves.
So in this dish, you will get to taste the faint bitterness of the leaves. If you like kale, then this recipe is good. the sautéed mushrooms add a contrasting texture in the dish. The recipe is mildly spiced and can accompany any fried rice dish like sweet corn fried rice or burnt garlic fried rice or even plain steamed rice very well.
Being a superfood, kale is very rich in essential nutrients. read more nutritional information about kale here.
If you are looking more Mushroom recipes then do check:
If you made this recipe, please be sure to rate it in the recipe card below. If you'd like more delicious Indian vegetarian recipes delivered straight to your inbox, Sign Up for my email newsletter. You can also follow me on Instagram, Facebook, Youtube, Pinterest or Twitter for more vegetarian inspiration.
kale leaves recipe
- 8 to 10 kale leaves
- 8 to 10 button mushrooms
- 1 spring onions (scallions) - reserve the greens for garnishing
- 2 to 3 garlic - finely chopped
- 1 or 2 green chilies - finely chopped
- 1 inch ginger - finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon light soy sauce or as required
- ½ teaspoon sugar or as required
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper powder or as required
- 1 tablespoon arrow root flour or (corn starch + 1/3 cup water). i added arrow root flour
- 1.5 tablespoon oil
- ½ to ¾ cup water or as required
- salt as required
- Rinse and slice the mushrooms.
- Rinse and chop the kale leaves. You can slice off the central stem if you prefer. I usually keep them.
- Heat oil in pan. Add the ginger, garlic and green chilies and saute for a few seconds.
- Add the spring onions/scallions and saute for 1 or 2 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and stir fry the mushrooms on a high heat till the mushroom gets browned from the edges.
- Add the chopped kale leaves. Saute till the leaves become tender. About 7 to 8 minutes.
- Add soy sauce and stir well.
- Then add 1/2 to 3/4 cup water and bring to a simmer.
- Dissolve 1 tbsp arrow root flour or corn starch in 1/3 cup water.
- Add this mixture in the pan. Simmer till the sauce thickens and become smooth with a glaze.
- Season with salt, pepper and sugar.
- Garnish with scallion greens and serve kale & mushrooms in ginger sauce hot with fried rice or steamed rice.
1. You could add kohlrabi (ganth gobi) greens. But the leaves should be tender and young.
2. Collard greens can also be added. They are known as karam saag and also added to prepare haak, a kashmiri dish.
3. Malabar spinach. Also known as pui saag in bengali.
4. Even chinese cabbage bok choy would be good.
5. You can try spinach too, but spinach won’t retain its shape and bite like kale.
Like our videos? Then do follow and subscribe to us on youtube to get the latest Recipe Video updates.
All our content & photos are copyright protected. Please do not copy. As a blogger, if you you want to adapt this recipe or make a youtube video, then please write the recipe in your own words and give a clickable link back to the recipe on this url.
Like this Recipe?
Pin it Now to Remember it Later