kale leaves recipe – kale leaves and button mushrooms in a lightly spiced ginger sauce. i had made this kale & mushrooms in ginger sauce as a accompanying side dish with schezwan fried rice.
so before you ask me where did i manage to buy kale in india, i will give you the link. kale is not easily available in india. i buy a few vegetables from a website and it was here, that i found the kale leaves. i brought it many times thereafter.
usually i add them to dal and make a kale dal. similar to the way we make spinach dal. i have also made kale pakoras. i purchase kale from the greentokri website.
i don’t know what is kale called in hindi. basically kale is a relative of the cabbage family. however, unlike cabbage, there is no head formation in kale. it has dark green or purple curled leaves with bitter notes and a chewy texture. the bitterness is not like the bitterness of bitter gourd or karela. its mildly bitter and eatable. for an indian taste which is used to having bitter stuff like karela or neem, kale is easily eatable. the taste is also some what like the taste of drumstick leaves.
so in this dish, you will get to taste the faint bitterness of the leaves. if you like kale, then this recipe is good. the sauteed mushrooms add a contrasting texture in the dish. the recipe is mildly spiced and can accompany any fried rice dish like sweet corn fried rice or burnt garlic fried rice or even plain steamed rice very well.
being a superfood, kale is very rich in essential nutrients. read more nutritional information about kale here.
kale leaves recipe
INGREDIENTS FOR kale leaves recipe
- 8 to 10 kale leaves
- 8 to 10 button mushrooms
- 1 spring onions (scallions) - reserve the greens for garnishing
- 2 to 3 garlic (lahsun) - finely chopped
- 1 or 2 green chilies (hari mirch) - finely chopped
- 1 inch ginger (adrak) - finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon light soy sauce or as required
- ½ teaspoon sugar or as required
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper powder (kali mirch powder) or as required
- 1 tablespoon arrow root flour or (corn starch + 1/3 cup water). i added arrow root flour
- 1.5 tablespoon oil
- ½ to ¾ cup water or as required
- salt as required
HOW TO MAKE kale leaves recipe
- rinse and slice the mushrooms.
- rinse and chop the kale leaves. you can slice off the central stem if you prefer. i usually keep them.
- heat oil in pan. add the ginger, garlic and green chilies and saute for a few seconds.
- add the spring onions/scallions and saute for 1 or 2 minutes.
- add the mushrooms and stir fry the mushrooms on a high heat till the mushroom gets browned from the edges.
- add the chopped kale leaves. saute till the leaves become tender. about 7 to 8 minutes.
- add soy sauce and stir well.
- then add 1/2 to 3/4 cup water and bring to a simmer.
- dissolve 1 tbsp arrow root flour or corn starch in 1/3 cup water.
- add this mixture in the pan. simmer till the sauce thickens and become smooth with a glaze.
- season with salt, pepper and sugar.
- garnish with scallion greens and serve kale & mushrooms in ginger sauce hot with fried rice or steamed rice.
1. you could add kohlrabi (ganth gobi) greens. but the leaves should be tender and young.
2. collard greens can also be added. they are known as karam saag and also added to prepare haak, a kashmiri dish.
3. malabar spinach. also known as pui saag in bengali.
4. even chinese cabbage bok choy would be good.
5. you can try spinach too, but spinach won’t retain its shape and bite like kale.