Jam bread rolls recipe with step by step photos – easy to make whole wheat bread rolls stuffed with fig jam. A vegan recipe.
I do make bread rolls often and stuff them with any sweet or savory filling… They make for a nice breakfast for a couple of days with either tea or coffee.
I have shown the preparations of the rolls after the bread dough has leavened and doubled the first time. Best is to use a homemade fruit preserve or jam. You can also use chocolate spreads or cheese fillings or pesto in the rolls. So you can use a variety of fillings as per your taste and liking.
I have shared a few recipes where bread is stuffed with different fillings like:
- Paneer bread roll
- Cheese rolls (with a cheesy spiced potato stuffing)
- Bread roll With stuffed potatoes.
The bread rolls Can be made with whole wheat flour or all-purpose flour. For health reasons I prefer whole wheat flour in most of the breads I make at home. Just to give the bread a soft texture, I have added ½ cup of all-purpose flour.
For this recipe I used fresh yeast and hence the leavening time is greatly reduced than using dry active yeast. I have mentioned in the recipe details below the proportion and the leavening time required for both the yeasts.
I just made one log, instead of making separate rolls. In case you want to make separate individual small rolls, you can see the step by step recipe of Garlic bread rolls.
How to make jam bread rolls
1: once the dough has leavened, lightly punch the dough and on a lightly floured work surface roll into a rectangle till the bread is ¼ or ½ inch in width. spread the jam evenly on the rolled dough
2: sprinkle desiccated coconut and roll carefully.
3: make one single log. Seam the edges and place in a greased loaf pan. Cover and leaven for 15 minutes.
4: bake them in a preheated oven at 180 degrees C for 35 to 40 minutes or till the bread is browned and sounds hollow when tapped. Remove on a wire rack and cool.
5: slice the jam bread rolls warm or when cooled And serve with tea or coffee.
Few more tasty recipes for you!
Jam Bread Rolls
- 2.5 cups whole wheat flour
- ½ cup all purpose flour
- ½ tablespoon fresh yeast or ¾ to 1 teaspoon dry active yeast
- 2 tablespoon sunflower oil
- 2 tablespoon organic unrefined cane sugar or 1.5 tablespoon regular sugar
- ¼ teaspoon rock salt (sendha namak)
- ¾ cup jam - any fruit jam
- 2 to 3 tablespoons unsweetened desiccated coconut or as required
- 1 cup lukewarm water or add as required
- Dissolve sugar in lukewarm water. Stir in the fresh yeast and let the solution sit for 10 mins.
- Sieve both the flours and salt.
- Add the oil, the yeast solution and knead to a soft, smooth and elastic dough.
- Keep the dough covered in a greased bowl for 1 hour or more till doubled.
- If using dry yeast, keep the dough for 1:30 minutes to 2 hours.
- Once the dough has leavened, lightly punch the dough and on a lightly floured work surface roll into a rectangle till the width of the bread reaches ¼ to ½ inch.
- Spread the jam evenly on the rolled dough. Roll carefully.
- Place the entire log carefully in a greased loaf pan.
- Cover and keep aside for 10 to 15 mins if using fresh yeast and 35 to 45 minutes for dry yeast.
- Bake them in a preheated oven at 180 degrees c for 35 to 40 minutes or till the bread is browned. Remove on a wire rack and cool. Slice the jam bread rolls warm or when cooled.