Herb bread recipe With step by step photos – This is an Italian recipe of an easy, simple and a no fuss herb bread made from a combo of whole wheat flour, all purpose flour and olive oil.
The herbs which I have added to the bread are fresh basil, fresh parsley and dry rosemary along with sun dried tomatoes.
The result is a chewy, dense and aromatic bread flavored with the herbs and sun dried tomatoes. If you make the bread totally with all purpose flour/maida, then the bread won’t be chewy and dense.
I kneaded the dough in the afternoon and by the time the bread was leavening & when I had to bake it…. it was night. So the baking pics have been shot in night time. Once the baked bread was cooled down, I warmly snugged these in a kitchen napkin and kept in the fridge. For our morning breakfast, I warmed the breads with the morning ginger tea.
This herb bread recipe is eggless as well as dairy free. I have adapted this recipe from the cook book “vegetarian mediterranean cooking” by beverley jollands.
If you are looking for more Bread recipes then do check:
If you made this recipe, please be sure to rate it in the recipe card below. Sign Up for my email newsletter or you can follow me on Instagram, Facebook, Youtube, Pinterest or Twitter for more vegetarian inspirations.
- 1.5 cups whole wheat flour
- ½ cup all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dry active yeast
- ½ cup water or add as required
- ¼ teaspoon sugar
- ¾ cup chopped fresh herbs or about 1 to 1.5 tablespoon dry herbs - rosemary, basil, parsley
- 8 to 9 sun dried tomatoes, chopped (optional)
- salt as required
- sea salt flakes or rock salt for sprinkling
- fresh rosemary leaves or dry rosemary for sprinkling
making herb bread dough
- Proof the yeast by adding it to the 1/2 cup warm water & sugar mixture.
- Keep in a warm place for 10 to 12 minutes, till the mixture bubbles.
- Mix the chopped herbs, sundried tomatoes, olive oil and salt together.
- Add the flours and mix well.
- Now add the yeast mixture and continue to mix.
- Add some 1 or 2 tbsp water if required to bind the dough.
- Knead into a smooth and pliable dough. The dough should not be sticky.
- Rub olive oil all over the dough and keep it covered in a bowl for 30-40 minutes or for more time, till it doubles in size.
- Knead again until smooth and elastic.
making herb bread
- Make round or oval shapes of the dough and arrange them on an oiled sheet. Slightly make a criss cross pattern on the top of each loaf with a knife.
- Cover loosely with a lid or kitchen towel and keep again in a warm place for 15-20 minutes or until well risen.
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees celsius.
- Brush the bread buns with little olive oil, sprinkle some rosemary leaves and salt. Bake in the oven for about 20 to 25 minutes. The base should sound hollow when they are tapped.
- Serve italian herb bread warm.
Like our videos? Then do follow and subscribe to us on youtube to get the latest Recipe Video updates.
All our content & photos are copyright protected. Please do not copy. As a blogger, if you you want to adapt this recipe or make a youtube video, then please write the recipe in your own words and give a clickable link back to the recipe on this url.
Like this Recipe?
Pin it Now to Remember it Later
How to make herb bread
1: the proofing needs to be done first. Mix the sugar with warm water. Add the dry yeast to this mixture. Stir and leave in a warm place for the 10 to 12 minutes or till the mixture becomes frothy.
2: mix the chopped fresh herbs, dry rosemary, sun dried tomatoes, salt and olive oil in a large mixing bowl.
3: add both the flours to this and mix together.
4: now add the yeast mixture and mix everything together.
5: add some warm water if required and knead into a smooth dough on a lightly floured surface. The dough should not be sticky.
6: put the dough back into the same bowl. Apply olive oil over the dough.
7: cover with a cling film and leave in a warm place for 30-40 minutes or until the dough becomes double in size.
8: the risen dough after 1 hour
Making herb bread
9: knead again until smooth and elastic. Make round or oval shapes of the dough and arrange them on an oiled sheet. slightly make a criss cross pattern on the top of each loaf with a knife.
10: cover loosely with a lid and keep again in a warm place for 15-20 minutes or until well risen. Preheat the oven to 200 degrees celsius. brush the bread buns with little olive oil, sprinkle some rosemary leaves and salt. bake in the oven for about 20 to 25 minutes. The base should sound hollow when they are tapped.
Serve Italian herb bread warm with masala chai or filter coffee or badam milk.