How to cook noodles – method to cook perfect non sticky noodles for stir fries or for preparing veg noodles.
From a long time this post was due. I wanted to share the way I prepare non sticky noodles while making Veg noodles or any noodle stir fried dish. A few tricks and you get perfect non sticky noodles which are not lumpy or sticky.
You can use any noodles while cooking noodles. It can be made from whole wheat flour or all purpose flour. Usually noodles are cooked al dente, but for some recipes I prefer to cook them till they are softened, since I do not cook them further after mixing with veggies.
Some Indo Chinese recipes are made with fried noodles as one of the main ingredients. E.g Chinese bhel and American chopsuey. for such recipes you can check this detailed Recipe post on how to fry noodles.
Stepwise method for making non sticky boiled noodles
1. Heat 5 to 6 cups water in a pan.
2. Bring the water to a boil.
3. then add ½ teaspoon salt.
4. Next add ½ teaspoon oil. Mix well.
5. Then add 150 grams noodles.
6. Boil the noodles on medium to high flame till they are cooked well.
7. Check the doneness of noodles by pressing a few noodles or tasting them. They should be softened. You can even cook the noodles till al dente if you plan to stir fry the noodles for some more minutes later. For an al dente texture, there will be a slight bite in the cooked noodles. Do note that not to over cook the noodles. They will end up becoming sticky and lumpy.
8. Once the noodles are cooked well, drain them in a colander or sieve.
9. Then rinse the noodles in fresh water which is at room temperature. This method removes the starch and stops the cooking process.
10. Drain & keep aside the noodles. If you want you can even drizzle 1 to 2 teaspoons of oil and mix it gently with the noodles.
11. Let the noodles cool down at room temperature. then you can use them in any recipe like veg noodles, hakka noodles, schezwan noodles, veg chowmein, chilli garlic noodles and mushroom noodles.
If you made this recipe, please be sure to rate it in the recipe card below. If you'd like more delicious Indian vegetarian recipes delivered straight to your inbox, Sign Up for my email newsletter. You can also follow me on Instagram, Facebook, Youtube, Pinterest or Twitter for more vegetarian inspiration.
Like this Recipe?
Pin it Now to Remember it Later
how to cook noodles
- 150 grams noodles
- 1.25 litres water or 5 cups water
- ½ teaspoon oil for cooking noodles
- ½ teaspoon salt for cooking noodles
- some water for rinsing noodles
- Heat 5 to 6 cups water in a pan.
- When the water comes to a boil, add salt.
- Next add oil. Mix well.
- Then add the noodles.
- Boil till the noodles are cooked well.
- Check the doneness of noodles by pressing a few noodles or tasting them. They should be softened.
- You can even cook the noodles till al dente if you plan to stir fry the noodles for some more minutes later. For an al dente texture, there will be a slight bite in the cooked noodles.
- Once the noodles are cooked well, drain them in a colander or sieve.
- Then rinse the noodles in fresh water.
- Drain & keep aside the noodles. If you want you can even drizzle 1 to 2 teaspoon oil and mix it gently with the noodles.
- Let the noodles cool down at room temperature. Then you can use them in any recipe like veg noodles or veg hakka noodles or mushroom noodles.
Nutrition Info Approximate values
Like our videos? Then do follow and subscribe to us on youtube to get the latest Recipe Video updates.
All our content & photos are copyright protected. Please do not copy. As a blogger, if you you want to adapt this recipe or make a youtube video, then please write the recipe in your own words and give a clickable link back to the recipe on this url.