green peas usal or matar usal recipe – a coconut and spice based fresh green peas curry from the maharashtrian cuisine. also a no onion no garlic recipe.
i make the regular malvan style usal recipe which i have already posted on the blog with sprouts or with kala chana and this chawli usal recipe . this time, i wanted to make a different variety of usal, than what i regularly prepare.
so when there were some freshly shelled peas in the refrigerator, i decided to make this usal. since i have a lot of cookbooks, i have adapted this recipe from a few of them. usually when i want to try a new recipe, i always look in my cook books. reading the books over browsing the internet, takes more preference, when looking for a recipe.
the consistency of this green peas usal is semi dry. the curry has mild sweet tones and is lightly spiced. the mild sweetness comes from the coconut and jaggery. the sweetness of the peas, also add to overall flavor and taste of the dish. to add a tang to the dish, i have also added lemon juice.
the usal goes best with soft chapatis, phulkas and even bread or the indian pav (dinner rolls). you can also serve usal as a side dish. along with the usal, i had made vangi bhaji (dry eggplant curry) along with chapatis.
matar usal or green peas usal recipe below:
green peas usal recipe | matar usal recipe
ingredients (1 cup = 250 ml)
main ingredients for matar usal:
- 2 cups fresh or frozen green peas (vatana or matar)
- ½ teaspoon powdered jaggery or sugar - add as required
- 2 teaspoon goda masala (black masala)
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice (optional)
- water as required
- salt as required
for tempering matar usal:
- 2 tablespoon oil
- ½ teaspoon mustard seeds (rai)
- ¼ to ⅓ teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi)
- 2 pinches asafoetida (hing)
for ground paste:
- 3 tablespoon grated coconut, fresh or frozen
- 1.5 to 2 tablespoon chopped coriander leaves (dhania patta)
- 1 or 2 green chilies (hari mirch) - chopped
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera)
- 1 inch ginger (adrak) - chopped
- 3 tablespoon water for grinding
how to make recipe
- heat oil. crackle the mustard seeds first.
- add turmeric powder, asafoetida and stir.
- add the peas. cover the pan and simmer for 6 to 7 minutes on a low flame.
- check in between. sprinkle some water if required and if the mixture looks dry.
- whilst the green peas are simmering, grind coconut, green chilies,
- coriander leaves, ginger, cumin seeds with 3 tbsp water to a smooth paste.
- after 6 to 7 minutes, remove the lid and add the ground coconut paste.
- season with salt and jaggery or sugar.
- stir and then add 3/4 to 1 cup water.
- cover and let the peas cook.
- i needed to add 2 cups water as the peas which i had, took a long time to cook.
- if the peas are tender, you may not require to add any water or little water.
- simmer till the peas are cooked well and softened.
- the curry is semi dry. so if there is lots of gravy, then simmer till most of
- the moisture is evaporated.
- lastly add the goda masala and stir well.
- while serving sprinkle some lemon juice or serve with lemon wedges.
- you can also add about 1 tsp lemon juice directly to the usal.
- the lemon juice is optional, but a little tang tastes good in the usal.
- garnish with coriander leaves and some grated coconut.
- serve green peas usal with chapatis or phulkas or pav/bread rolls.
- the usal is semi dry. but if you want you can keep some gravy in the usal.
- i started vegrecipesofindia.com in feb 2009. it is a pure vegetarian blog and shares recipes with step by step photos.
i am passionate about cooking from childhood and learnt cooking from my elders. a home science degree course further enhanced my cooking and baking skills professionally along with an internship in a five star hotel. i am trained both in mainstream indian as well as international cuisines.
all the 1800 recipes posted on blog are tried and tested and made healthy wherever possible. the recipes are detailed and with step by step pictures that will easily help you to make delicious and tasty vegetarian food.
- Festival Recipes2018.09.19bhakarwadi recipe, how to make bhakarwadi recipe | bakarwadi recipe
- Festival Recipes2018.09.05kozhukattai recipe, how to make kozhukattai recipe for ganesh chaturthi
- Dinner Recipes2018.08.01macaroni recipe | indian style macaroni recipe | macaroni pasta recipe
- Cooking Tips & Methods2018.07.24custard recipe, how to make custard | vanilla custard recipe