punjabi style green chutney recipe with step by step photos. this green chutney is a regular chutney which we make as a side dish with our punjabi meals.
this is again a healthy green chutney and easy to make recipe. again from my mil’s fab punjabi recipe collection. here apart from herbs like coriander, mint, some veggies are also added – tomatoes, onions and radish. the chutney is given a slightly sour taste by dry pomegranate seeds or anardana.
when we don’t have pomegranate seeds, we add lemon juice or dry mango powder and even raw mangoes in the summers. so you can choose whichever souring agent you have.
this punjabi green chutney can be had as a dip or can be used as a spread. best with some onion pakora, samosa, aloo tikki, paneer tikka, veg cutlet, tandoori or grilled veggies or snacks. the chutney can also be used as spread on sandwiches and burgers.
i first served this punjabi green chutney with mushroom tikka and the next day served it french fries and then on third day with cabbage vada (cabbage lentil fritters).
few more chutney recipes for you!
punjabi green chutney
- ¼ cup mint leaves (pudina patta)
- ½ cup coriander leaves (dhania patta)
- 1 medium sized onion
- 1 medium sized tomato
- ½ inch ginger - peeled and chopped (adrak)
- 3 to 4 garlic - peeled chopped (lahsun)
- 2 inch of white radish (mooli) - optional
- 1 green chili, chopped (increasing the number of green chilies will increase the heat in the chutney. for a hotter and spicier version, you can add 2 green chilies)
- ½ teaspoon dry pomegranate seeds (anardana) - substitute dry mango powder (amchur) or lemon juice or raw mango instead of dry pomegranate seeds. adjust accordingly.
- black salt or rock salt as required
- 1 or 2 tablespoon of water to grind the chutney
- rinse and chop the mint and coriander leaves.
- peel and rinse the onion. chop roughly.
- rinse and chop the tomatoes roughly.
- rinse and peel the radish. chop the radish.
- add these veggies, ginger, garlic in a chutney grinder or small blender.
- also add all pomegranate seeds, salt, green chilies.
- add 1 or 2 tbsp water and grind the ingredients till smooth.
- remove the green chutney in a bowl.
- serve the green chutney as a side dish with indian starters or snacks.
- the green chutney stays good in the fridge for 3-4 days.
NUTRITION INFO (approximate values)
how to make punjabi style green chutney recipe
1. rinse the coriander leaves (dhaniya patta) and mint leaves (pudina patta) in water. then chop the mint and coriander leaves and place aside.
2. rinse and peel the radish (mooli). then chop the radish into small pieces.
3. similarly rinse and chop onion, tomato, green chili, garlic and ginger. measure and keep all the ingredients ready for making green chutney.
4. add ½ cup chopped coriander leaves, ¼ cup mint leaves, ½ inch chopped ginger and 3 to 4 chopped garlic in a chutney grinder or small blender.
5. next add 1 medium sized chopped onion and 1 medium sized chopped tomato.
6. also add ½ teaspoon dry pomegranate seeds (anardana), salt as required and 1 chopped green chili. add 2 inches of radish now, if using. also add 1 or 2 tablespoon water to the chutney. if you don’t have dry pomegranate seeds then you can substitute with dry mango powder (amchur powder) or lemon juice or raw mango.
7. grind the ingredients till smooth.
remove the green chutney in a bowl. serve the punjabi green chutney as a side dish with indian starters or snacks like aloo pakora, samosa, veg kabab, bread pakora, paneer tikka, paneer pakora, hara bhara kabab. the green chutney stays good in the fridge for 3-4 days.