Garlic dal or lahsun dal recipe – This one is a quick and easy recipe for making garlic dal…. You just need some spices and garlic… Thats its… And all of them are cooked together with the dal… Easy… Isn’t it?
This is an easy one pot method to make garlic dal. Good for occasions when you are short of time. In another variation, tempering is added to the garlic dal. I have shared that method in this Lasooni dal recipe.
Garlic and dal…. My two favorite combinations…. I love garlic in dal… In fact I like the aroma of cooked or fried garlic in dals, rice and even on veggies.
I first found this recipe of garlic dal in femina magazine during my college days. I liked the photo and the presentation so much in the magazine that I asked my mom to make it and have been hooked on to it since then. it was my hobby to collect recipes from different magazines, newspaper and try them at home. I still have some old cuts outs and handwritten notes still with me.
Serve the garlic dal with phulka, jeera rice or steamed basmati rice. You can also serve an accompanying vegetable dish, salad, mango pickle and masala papad with it.
The garlic dal can also be had as a soup with toasted bread..
If you are looking for more Lentil recipes then do check:
If you made this recipe, please be sure to rate it in the recipe card below. Sign Up for my email newsletter or you can follow me on Instagram, Facebook, Youtube, Pinterest or Twitter for more vegetarian inspirations.
- 1 cup arhar dal (tuvar dal, split pigeon pea lentils)
- 8 to 10 medium garlic cloves , peeled and slightly crushed
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds , optional
- 1 green chilli finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon red chili powder
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 pinch of asafoetida (hing)
- 2 tablespoons Ghee or oil
- 2.5 cups water, add water as required
- salt as required
- Pick, clean and wash the dal.
- In a pressure cooker heat ghee or oil.
- Add the mustard seeds and let them splutter.
- Now add the cumin seeds and fry them.
- Add slightly crushed garlic. Fry the garlic for a minute. We don't need to brown it.
- Add the dal and the chopped green chili.
- Add the turmeric powder, red chili powder, asafoetida, salt and mix these with the dal.
- Add water. Close the lid of the pressure cooker and pressure cook for 7-10 minutes.
- If the dal appears a little watery then reduce it by cooking the dal in the pressure cooker without the lid. Check the salt.
- Garnish with coriander leaves.
- Serve the garlic dal hot with roti, parathas or rice.
Like our videos? Then do follow and subscribe to us on youtube to get the latest Recipe Video updates.
All our content & photos are copyright protected. Please do not copy. As a blogger, if you you want to adapt this recipe or make a youtube video, then please write the recipe in your own words and give a clickable link back to the recipe on this url.