Garam masala rice with step by step photos. An aromatic rice dish flavored with garam masala or whole spices.
This garam masala rice recipe comes from my sister. Once I happened to taste it at her place and asked her for the recipe. From then onwards, I do make this rice on occasions to go with a dal tadka or dal fry or dal makhani or a gravy. Thereby making our simple everyday lunch or dinner to a special one.
Apart from serving with dals, you can also serve it with veg curries like veg handi, veg korma or paneer based gravies like matar paneer, shahi paneer, palak paneer etc.
The recipe of garam masala rice is pretty easy to prepare. if you have leftover rice, then half of your work is done as rest of the method is very easy & quick. To make this aromatic rice first, you just need to cook the rice. Then temper the cooked rice with whole garam masala spices and garam masala powder.
This rice recipe tastes good by itself. but you could enhance its flavor by adding fried onions which gives a biryani like taste and flavor to this recipe. However adding fried onions is optional but recommended.
Here, I have used ghee for tempering the rice but you could use oil instead. you could use any type of long grained rice or basmati rice for making this spiced rice recipe. I have used dehradun basmati rice. You can even make the recipe with seeraga samba rice.
We had our rice with paneer butter masala, begun bhaja and onion raita.
How to make garam masala rice
1. Rinse 1.5 cups of rice very well in water, till the water runs clear of starch. Then take the rice, 4 to 5 cups water and salt as per taste in a pot or pan. If you want, then you can also soak the rice for 30 minutes before cooking.
2. Keep the pan on stovetop and on medium heat, bring everything to a boil. Cook the rice without covering it with a lid.
3. Do keep a check on the rice. The rice should take about 15 to 20 mins to cook. Once the rice grains have softened and are cooked well, switch off the flame.
4. Strain the rice in a colander. Allow the rice to cool.
5. Once the rice has cooled, heat a pan. Then add 1 tablespoon ghee or oil.
6. Lower the flame and add all the whole ground spices – 1 teaspoon of cumin seeds, 2 inches cinnamon stick, 7 to 8 black peppers, 1 to 2 star anise, 4 to 5 cloves, ½ of a mace, 4 to 5 green cardamoms, 1 black cardamom and 2 tej patta (Indian bay leaf).
7. Saute until they crackle and leave aroma. Sprinkle a pinch of salt.
8. Sprinkle 1 teaspoon of garam masala powder, stir and mix nicely.
9. Add the steamed rice.
10. Mix gently and switch off the flame.
11. Then add 1 tablespoon of chopped coriander leaves. Keep aside.
12. Heat one tablespoon of ghee in a small tadka pan or a small pan.
13. Add ⅓ cup of sliced onions and saute until golden brown in color. This step is optional.
14. Garnish the fried onions on the rice. Serve Garam masala rice with your favorite dal like dal makhani, dal tadka, dal fry, chana dal and curry recipes like rajma recipe, veg kadai, paneer tikka masala.
More Indian rice recipes
garam masala rice
for cooking rice
- 1.5 cups rice, i used basmati rice
- 4 to 5 cups of water for cooking rice
- salt as required
- 1 tablespoon of ghee or oil
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 inches cinnamon stick
- 7 to 8 whole black peppers
- 1 to 2 star anise (chakri phool)
- 4 to 5 cloves
- ½ of a mace
- 4 to 5 green cardamoms
- 1 black cardamom (badi elaichi)
- 2 tej patta (indian bay leaves)
- 1 teaspoon garam masala powder
- 1 tablespoon ghee or oil
- ⅓ cup thinly sliced onions or 1 medium onion thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon chopped coriander leaves
- Rinse 1.5 cups of rice very well in water till the water runs clear of starch.
- Then in a pan, take rinsed rice, 4 to 5 cups of water and salt as required.
- Place the pan on stove top on a medium flame.
- Cook the rice without a lid. Do keep a check. The rice should take about 15 to 20 mins to cook. Once the rice grains are cooked, then switch off the flame.
- Strain the rice over a colander. Allow the rice to cool.
tempering garam masala rice
- Later, heat a pan. Then add ghee/oil in it.
- Lower the flame and then add all the whole spices.
- Saute until they crackle and leave aroma. Sprinkle a pinch of salt
- Sprinkle a teaspoon of garam masala powder, stir and mix nicely.
- Add the steamed rice.
- Mix everything very well and switch off the gas.
- Then add a tablespoon of chopped coriander leaves. Keep aside,
for the garnish
- Heat a tablespoon of ghee in a small tadka pan or a small pan.
- Saute the sliced onions until golden brown.
- Garnish the fried onions on the rice. Serve garam masala rice with your favorite dal and veg gravy.