Vegan carrot halwa recipe With step by step photos. This vegan carrot halwa is a classic Indian carrot pudding made with grated carrots, almond milk, sugar and dry fruits.
This carrot pudding is one of the most popular desserts made in India during winters. It is made on almost all festive occasions like Diwali, Holi, janmashtami and so on. It is an evergreen Indian dessert made all over India.
Gajar halwa and Beetroot halwa holds special memories for me. These two sweets were mom’s favorites sweets and no matter how tired she was or the lack of time she had, she would make sure to make these two sweets always… Both together for festive and special occasions.
In this vegan carrot halwa recipe, almond milk is used to make the halwa. the method of making this vegan carrot halwa is exactly the way I make halwa with milk.
The proportion of sugar and oil can always be adjusted in any halwa. So if you like more sweeter version, add more sugar and if you like a little more grease, then add some more oil.
Personally for me this vegan gajar halwa made with almond milk was tastes similar to the regular Carrot halwa. even the family could not make out the difference.
How to make vegan carrot halwa
1: first is the tedious job of grating carrots. Use a food processor for quick results.
2: mix the almond milk and carrots together in a pan or kadai/wok.
3: put the pan on fire and bring the whole carrot – almond mixture to a gentle boil on a low or medium flame. Better to cook on a low or medium flame as slow cooking gives a better taste and the mixture does not have less chances to stick to the pan. Use a heavy based non reactive pan or a non stick pan or a wok to make the halwa.
4: then simmer and let the carrots-milk mixture cook further. This whole process of cooking the carrots in the milk, takes about 35-45 minutes or more on a low flame. After 12 minutes this is how the mixture appears.
5: once the carrots are half cooked ie. After overall after 18 minutes add the cardamom powder & stir.
6: continue to stir in between. After 3-4 minutes, add the oil and sugar.
7: stir and let the mixture thicken. Continue to cook. after 5 minutes…
8: when the liquids in the mixture have almost dried, add raisins, cashews, saffron and almond paste.
9: stir and cook for 2-3 minutes till the moisture dries up. Serve the vegan carrot halwa hot or warm. you can have this vegan carrot halwa cold too. If stored in a refrigerator then this vegan carrot pudding stays good for 3-4 days.
Few more vegan desserts
vegan carrot halwa
- 2.5 cups grated carrots
- 2.5 cups almond milk
- 8 tablespoons regular sugar or organic unrefined cane sugar - add more or less as required
- ¼ or ⅓ cup almond paste (optional)
- 5 to 6 green cardamom - powdered or crushed
- 8 to 10 unsalted whole or chopped cashews
- 7 to 8 unsalted pistachois - sliced or chopped
- 12 to 15 golden raisins
- a pinch of saffron - optional
- 2 to 2.5 tablespoons neutral flavored oil or sunflower oil
- Wash, peel and grate the carrots.
- Mix the almond milk and grated carrot together in a pan.
- Keep on fire and allow the mixture to simmer.
- Continue to simmer and cook stirring in between.
- After 15-20 minutes add cardamom powder and stir.
- When the mixture has started thickening, add sugar & oil.
- Stir and continue to cook.
- When the mixture has almost dried, add the almond paste and dry fruits.
- Stir and cook further for 2-3 minutes. Serve vegan carrot halwa hot or warm.
- It can be also refrigerated and served cold. This vegan carrot halwa stays good in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.