vegan carrot halwa recipe with step by step photos – carrot halwa or carrot pudding is one of the most popular dessert made in india during winters. carrot halwa is made in almost all festive occasions like diwali, holi, janmashtami and so on.
carrot halwa is a classic indian pudding that goes for any celebrative occasion or season. its an evergreen indian dessert made all over india.
few variations of making carrot pudding recipes are
- carrot halwa – this is the traditional method of making carrot halwa. it takes more time to prepare. but taste wise it is the best.
- pressure cooker carrot halwa – this is an easy and a less time taking recipe of preparing gajar halwa.
- carrot halwa with condensed milk or milkmaid – easy and quicker method to make the carrot pudding.
- microwave gajar ka halwa – again a quick method to make halwa in microwave.
- gajar ka halwa with khoya – made with khoya which is dried evaporated milk solids.
gajar halwa and beetroot halwa holds special memories for me. these two sweets were mom’s favorites sweets and no matter how tired she was or the lack of time she had, she would make sure to make these two sweets always… both together for festive and special occasions.
in this vegan carrot halwa recipe, almond milk is used to make the halwa. the method of making this vegan carrot halwa is exactly the way i make halwa with milk.
the proportion of sugar and oil/ghee can always be adjusted in any halwa. so if you like a more sweeter version, add more sugar and if you like a little more grease, then add some more oil or ghee.
personally for me this vegan gajar halwa made with almond milk was tastes similar to the regular gajar halwa. even the family could not make out the difference.
vegan carrot halwa
ingredients (1 cup = 250 ml)
- 2.5 cups grated carrots or gajar
- 2.5 cups almond milk (badam milk)
- 8 tablespoons regular sugar or organic unrefined cane sugar - add more or less as required
- ¼ or ⅓ cup almond paste (optional)
- 5 to 6 green cardamom - powdered or crushed (hari elaichi)
- 8 to 10 unsalted whole or chopped cashews (kaju)
- 7 to 8 unsalted pistachois - sliced or chopped (pista)
- 12 to 15 golden raisins (kishmish)
- a pinch of saffron (kesar) - optional
- 2 to 2.5 tablespoons neutral flavored oil or ghee sunflower oil
how to make vegan carrot halwa
- wash, peel and grate the carrots (gajar).
- mix the almond milk or regular dairy milk and grated carrot together in a pan.
- keep on fire and allow the mixture to simmer.
- continue to simmer and cook stirring in between.
- after 15-20 minutes add cardamom powder and stir.
- when the mixture has started thickening, add sugar & oil/ghee.
- stir and continue to cook.
- when the mixture has almost dried, add the almond paste and dry fruits.
- stir and cook further for 2-3 minutes. serve carrot halwa hot or warm.
- the carrot halwa can be also refrigerated and served cold.
this vegan carrot halwa stays good in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
- instead of almond paste, you can also use mawa (dried evaporated milk solids or khoya)
note: as a blogger, if you you want to use this recipe or make a youtube video, then please write the recipe in your own words and give a clickable link back to this recipe url - vegan carrot halwa on Veg Recipes of India. its a fair and ethical practice. for using our image please write to us. all our images and content are copyright protected.
how to make vegan carrot halwa recipe
1: first is the tedious job of grating carrots. use a food processor for quick results.
2: mix the almond milk and carrots together in a pan or kadai/wok.
3: put the pan on fire and bring the whole carrot – almond mixture to a gentle boil on a low or medium flame. better to cook on a low or medium flame as slow cooking gives a better taste and the mixture does not have less chances to stick to the pan. use a heavy based non reactive pan or a non stick pan or a wok to make the halwa.
4: then simmer and let the carrots-milk mixture cook further. this whole process of cooking the carrots in the milk, takes about 35-45 minutes or more on a low flame. after 12 minutes this is how the mixture appears.
5: once the carrots are half cooked ie. after overall after 18 minutes add the cardamom powder & stir.
6: continue to stir in between. after 3-4 minutes, add the oil/ghee and sugar.
7: stir and let the mixture thicken. continue to cook. after 5 minutes…
8: when the liquids in the mixture has almost dried, add raisins, cashews, saffron and almond paste.
9: stir and cook for 2-3 minutes till the moisture dries up. serve the carrot halwa hot or warm. you can have carrot halwa cold too. if stored in a refrigerator then this vegan carrot halwa stays good for 3-4 days.