Ensaladilla rusa recipe – an easy and simple spanish vegetarian salad. this is a quick recipe you can make when you have a hankering for veggies and want to make something quick, yet nutritious and healthy. The salad can be served with any bread of your choice.
Ensaladilla rusa, as its called in spain is a staple in spain. Basically its russian salad but very popular in spain. Here’s what I found from the Wikipedia about this salad.
” The salad or potato salad (also known as Salad Olivier) is a typical dish of Russia . It is a kind of potato salad or a fruit salad with vegetables and tuna all mixed in plenty of mayonnaise . In many European countries, this dish is very popular, as has been included in their national cuisines, as in the case of Spain or Portugal .
Despite the popularity of the salad in Spain and the Southern Cone , one can say that its origin is really Italian, since it was invented in the year 1860 by Lucien Olivier , chef at the Hermitage Restaurant, one of the most popular restaurants in Moscow that would soon make this dish its hallmark.”
Hence its also known as Salad Olivier. I tried to make a vegetarian and eggless version of the salad with veggies and greens. the result was a super tasty salad…. i have used eggless mayonaisse in the salad, but if you prefer the mayonaisse with eggs, you can add so. You could make the salad with any vegetables and greens of your choice. You could also add mustard sauce if you like it.
Below is a pic without the stuffed olives added to the salad….
And now is the pic with olives added to the salad…
If you are looking for more Salad recipes then do check:
- 4 to 5 potatoes
- 2 to 3 carrots
- 100 grams green beans (i substituted peas with beans. if using peas, then use 3/4 cup shelled peas or frozen peas)
- 1 lettuce
- ¼ cup chopped celery
- ½ cup chopped basil
- ½ cup chopped parsley
- 1 cup eggless mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 5 to 6 stuffed green olives, sliced into rings
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- Boil the potatoes, carrots and green beans.
- Once they cool, peel and chop the potatoes and carrots into cubes.
- Chop the beans into small pieces.
- Rinse the lettuce leaves well in running water to remove the mud particles.
- Also rinse the basil leaves, celery and parsley.
- Tear the lettuce leaves with your hands.
- Chop the basil, celery and parsley.
- Put all the veggies and greens in a salad bowl.
- In a separate bowl, take mayonnaise, olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Whisk this mixture well so that the olive oil blends with the mayonnaise
- Add this dressing to the veggies and greens.
- Toss the salad with the dressing.
- Garnish with stuffed olive rings.
- Serve ensaladilla rusa immediately or serve cold.