Eggless pumpkin muffins recipe with step by step photos – Pumpkin is one veggie that is not seasonal in India. We get pumpkin all round the year. Usually I make simple and easy stir fries with pumpkin.
However, this time I decided to try making something new from pumpkin. Something which my traditional Indian mind can’t even think of.
First I thought of making a creamy dessert with pumpkin, but not sure how well it would go with others, I opted to make this Easy eggless pumpkin muffins. I have seen a lot of pumpkin cakes and muffins on other blogs. So thought why not give a try.
I have adapted this pumpkin muffins recipe from the cookbook “the complete idiot’s guide to vegan baking” by Donna Diegel. this one book is a treasure of vegan baking recipes. This is the first muffin I tried from the book and it was a super success. I halved the recipe and made some minor changes.
You will need pumpkin puree to make these muffins. I have mentioned in the notes below how to make pumpkin puree. These are healthy & nutritious muffins. Who says cakes or desserts cannot be healthy. This one is also low in fat as the amount of oil used is just 1/3 cup.
This muffins recipe is also refined sugar free as I have used organic unrefined cane sugar here. So this is an Eggless, diary free, refined sugar free and a wholesome pumpkin muffin for you. these muffins are spiced with cinnamon, dry ginger and nutmeg powder. Hence they are aromatic too.
How to make pumpkin muffins
1: first sieve the whole wheat flour, corn flour/corn starch, the spice powders, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
2: in another bowl add the soy milk, flax seed paste, oil, vanilla extract, sugar and pumpkin puree.
3: with an electric beater, beat the whole mixture on a high speed for 2-3 minutes. The mixture should become light in texture.
4: fold the sieved flour into this wet mixture using a spatula or a wooden spoon till the whole mixture is folded uniformly. Do not over mix as you don’t want gluten to form in the batter. While folding don’t add all the flour at once. Add 1/2 a cup or 1 cup of flour and fold… Then repeat.
5: here’s a pic of the batter.
6: fold in the raisins and sunflower seeds.
7: in a muffin cups or muffin pan lined with muffin liners, pour the batter with a spoon or cup. Remember to tap the tray or the muffin cups so that the air bubbles come out. Otherwise you will have muffins like mine where the escaping bubbles during baking, have created a few tiny holes on the surface.
8: bake in a preheated oven for 190 degrees Cor 375 F till for 20-25 minutes or more. Serve pumpkin muffins warm with tea or coffee.
Few more muffin recipes on the blog are:
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon corn starch (corn flour)
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon powder
- 1 teaspoon ginger powder (saunth)
- ½ or ¾ teaspoon ground or grated nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¾ tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1.5 cup soy milk or almond milk or regular milk
- 1 tablespoon flax seed powder + 3 tbsp warm water = mixed into a paste (check notes if you don't have flax seed powder or meal)
- ⅓ cup oil
- ¾ cup organic unrefined cane sugar
- 1 cup pumpkin puree (recipe mentioned in the notes section below)
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup raisins
- 1 or 2 tablespoon sunflower seeds (optional)
- First preheat the oven to 190 degrees c.
- Line a muffin pan or tray with muffin liners.
- Sieve all the dry ingredients listed above.
- Beat the wet ingredients listed above with an electric beater for 2-3 minutes on high speed.
- Fold the dry into the wet ingredients till the whole batter is uniformly mixed.
- Fold in the raisins and sunflower seeds.
- Pour the batter in the muffin liners.
- Gently tap the sides of the muffins liners or cups.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Serve pumpkin muffins warm with tea or coffee.
- You can store them in an air-tight box.