Fresh plum cake With step by step photos. The recipe of this eggless fresh plum cake is easy to make. Fresh plums are also known as alu bukhara in hindi.
I am posting this step by step egg-free and vegan plum cake recipe for the festive season. It is christmas time and one sees a lot of cakes, cookies and chocolate all around. So thought of sharing the recipe which I had made some weeks before.
I have fond memories of celebrating christmas in school. Since I was in a christian school so the decoration of our classrooms, christmas tree, making the crib, singing the carols were a few rituals I have grown up with.
As I have mentioned above this super delicious easy vegan cake is made with fresh plums. So please do not confuse it with the mix fruit cake, commonly known as plum cake or the Kerala plum cake. If interested then I have shared 3 versions of mix fruit cake including the Kerala version and all of them are egg-free:
- Fruit cake (with rum & dry fruits)
- Kerala style plum cake (with caramel, dry fruits, apple juice)
- Wine cake (made with red wine)
I made some plum jam from the plums and the from the rest of the plums, I made this cake. The cake was too good and is soft with a bit of crumbly texture. The cake also has some spice to it in the form of cinnamon powder and grated nutmeg.
This eggless fresh plum cake is also a dairy-free and vegan cake. What makes the cake batter rise is a mixture of vinegar and baking soda which helps in aeration of the batter and makes the cake light and soft.
I took the step by step pics late in the evening and it was already dark. So in fluorescent lighting, the pics don’t look that good but will surely help you in seeing the texture and consistency of the cake batter.
How to make fresh plum cake
1: chop the fresh plums and keep aside.
2: sieve all the dry ingredients which includes the flours, baking powder and the spice powders.
3: add the oil to the dry ingredients and mix gently.
4: now add sugar. Here I have used organic cane sugar.
5: mix well. The consistency and texture of the mixture look like halwa.
6: add the chopped plums and cashews to the batter.
7: fold the plums and cashews in the batter well.
8: add apple cider vinegar to soy milk. Don’t stir as then the milk would then start curdling. Add baking soda and then stir gently. the whole mixture would bubble and froth as you see below.
9: quickly add this mixture to the cake batter.
10: also quickly add vanilla powder or vanilla extract to the batter. Fold quickly.
11: pour the cake batter in a greased cake tin or pan and bake in a preheated oven for 180 degrees C for 35-40 minutes.
12: after the cake had baked, it had a lovely brown color on the top with a natural glaze.
13: slice when warm and Serve eggless fresh plum cake plain or with tea or coffee. Once cooled you can keep the cake in an airtight box and refrigerate it. Fresh plum cake stays well for almost a week. Before serving just warm the cake slices in a microwave or in the oven.
More eggless Cake Recipes
Please be sure to rate this recipe in the recipe card below if you have made it. For more vegetarian inspirations, Sign Up for my emails or follow me on Instagram, Youtube, Facebook, Pinterest or Twitter.
fresh plum cake
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- ½ cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla powder or 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 5 to 6 plums - chopped finely
- ⅓ cup chopped cashews
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon powder
- ¼ pinch of grated nutmeg or nutmeg powder
- ½ cup soy milk, can also use dairy milk or almond milk or thin coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar or white vinegar
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¾ or 1 cup organic cane sugar or golden sugar or powdered sugar - see notes below
- ⅔ cup oil or melted butter
- Grease a cake round tin or cake loaf pan with oil or butter.
- Preheat your oven to 170 degrees celsius.
- Seive the whole wheat flour, all purpose flour, cinnamon powder and grated nutmeg along with baking powder.
- Add the oil or melted butter and mix gently.
- Add the sugar and mix.
- Now add the chopped fresh plums and cashews.
- Fold these gently in the cake batter.
- Add apple cider to soy milk and later add baking soda to this mixture.
- Stir gently and add this frothy bubbly mixture to the cake batter.
- Add the vanilla extract or vanilla powder.
- Fold quickly.
- Pour the cake batter in the greased cake pan.
- Bake at 170 degrees c for 35 to 40 minutes.
- When the cake becomes warm or cools, remove from the cake pan.
- Serve the eggless fresh plum cake with tea or coffee.
- Instead of soy milk you can use milk.
- Instead of oil you can use butter.
- Some more dry fruits like raisins, apricots, walnuts, almonds or dry fruits of your choice can be added to the cake.
- The ¾ cup sugar makes the cake just sweet, but not sweet enough for a cake. Add 1 cup sugar to get the right amount of sweetness.
- If the top of the cake browns quickly, then cover the top with butter paper or aluminum foil.