Date and walnut cake is a very easy and tasty cake recipe. Even a beginner in baking can make this cake easily. Eggless and Vegan Recipe.
Dates & walnut cake has always been a favorite. During Christmas or easter. We would always buy the cakes ready from the bakeries. The eggless dates walnut coffee cake I had wanted to make from so long. I had dates as well as walnuts but never got to making a cake with them.
Finally I made this eggless date and walnut cake and it was so good. Now since I bake often, I am getting better in making cakes too. This recipe is not adapted from anywhere. I had earlier made mango cake and I chose the mango cake recipe as a base to make this date walnut cake. On the same day I had also baked a fruit bread which was also super.
Apart from flavors of dates, walnuts, I have also added instant bru coffee. Some cacao nibs also went in the cake. Overall the cake was one delicious cake with a coffee and chocolaty taste.
However, adding coffee and cacao nibs are optional and you can just make the cake with walnuts and dates. But then coffee adds it own charm and flavor to the cake. You can easily add small chocolate chips in the cake instead of cacao nibs.
Cacao nibs are pieces of raw cocoa beans that have been shelled and roasted. They are crunchy and taste a bit like coffee as well as chocolate. They are an excellent source of antioxidants, fibre and have a lot of nutrients.
I found them expensive, but any imported stuff will be expensive in India…. And for health reasons, I don’t mind spending some extra money.
So this date and walnut cake is healthy as I also added 75% whole wheat flour in the cake and with the dates and the walnuts in it. the recipe is easy to make. Even a novice in baking can make this cake and get full marks. Here I have added homemade soy milk in the cake. But you can add regular milk, cashew milk or even almond milk.
So you can have your cake and eat it too!!!
If you are looking for more Eggless cakes then do check:
date and walnut cake
- 1.5 cups whole wheat flour
- ½ cup all purpose flour
- ½ cup cold pressed organic sunflower oil or any good vegetable oil
- ¾ cup regular sugar or organic unrefined cane sugar or organic demerara sugar - adjust as per your taste preferences
- 1 cup regular milk or soy milk or almond milk
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup seedless dates
- ½ cup walnuts
- 2 teaspoon instant coffee
- 1 tablespoon cacao nibs or small chocolate chips - if adding choco chips then adjust the sugar accordingly
- ½ teaspoon vanilla bean powder or vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 pinch salt
making cake batter
- Chop the dates and walnuts and keep aside.
- Line or grease a cake pan.
- Then heat the milk and switch off the flame.
- Add the coffee powder and stir.
- Add the dates. Stir and allow the dates to be in the milk for some 15-20 minutes or more.
- Begin the process of sieving both the whole wheat flours and all purpose flour with salt, baking soda and baking powder.
- Now you can preheat the oven to 200 degrees c/392 f.
- Take the seived flour mixture in a large bowl.
- Add the sugar & vanilla powder and mix.
- Add the soaked dates along with the milk, 1 cup water, walnuts and oil.
- Mix with an electric beater at medium to high speed till the whole batter is uniform and mixed evenly. Don't overdo the mixing.
- Fold in the cacao nibs or chocolate chips.
baking date and walnut cake
- Pour the cake batter into the prepared cake pan.
- With the help of a rubber spatula remove the batter from the sides of the bowl and add it to the cake pan.
- Shake the cake pan from the sides.
- Place in the pre heated oven.
- Bake the cake for 45 mins to 1 hour or until the a tooth pick inserted in the cake comes out clean.
- Serve the date and walnut cake warm with some tea or coffee.
- The remaining cake can be kept in an air-tight box and refrigerated.
- Addition of coffee and cacao nibs are optional.