dhaba style dal fry recipe with step by step photos – we love the dal they serve at dhabas. dhabas are hotels or restaurants alongside roads and highways. more about dhaba on this wiki link.
this recipe of dal fry is inspired from the dals served at punjabi dhabas. but i have made the dal more healthy by using 5 different dals or lentils. in the dhaba, they use chana dal, arhar dal and urad dal. i have also added moong dal and masoor dal. the dal fry also uses less oil as compared to the dhaba ones.
at times, i also give dhungar to this dal. if you want to give dhungar to this dhaba dal then you can check the method in this restaurant style dal tadka recipe. if you like dal fry, then you can also check this dal fry restaurant style recipe
its best to serve this dhaba dal with tandoori rotis. though even with plain steamed rice, jeera rice, peas pulao it goes well. you can also serve the dal with naan, parathas or phulkas.
if you are looking for more similar recipes then do check:
dhaba style dal fry recipe card below:
dal fry dhaba style recipe | dhaba dal recipe
dal fry dhaba style recipe - punjabi dhaba style dal recipe inspired from the dhabas.
ingredients (1 cup = 250 ml)
for cooking dal (lentils):
- 2 tablespoons chana dal husked & split bengal gram
- 2 tablespoons tuvar dal husked & split pigeon pea lentils
- 2 tablespoons urad dal split urad dal with their husks (chilkewali urad dal)
- 2 tablespoons moong dal split mung lentils with husks (chilkewali moong dal)
- 2 tablespoons masoor dal (pink lentils)
- 1 pinch turmeric powder
- 2 cups water for pressure cooking
other ingredients for dhaba dal fry:
- 1.5 tablespoons ghee or oil
- 55 grams onion or 1 medium onion or ⅓ cup chopped onion
- 4 grams ginger or ½ inch ginger or 1 teaspoon crushed ginger
- 4 grams garlic or 6 to 7 small garlic cloves or 1 teaspoon crushed garlic
- 2 to 3 green chilies slit
- 2 to 3 dry red chilies
- 1 teaspoon kasuri methi, crushed
- 115 grams tomatoes or 1 large tomato, chopped or ½ cup chopped tomatoes
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ½ teaspoon red chilli powder
- ½ teaspoon coriander powder
- ¼ teaspoon garam masala powder
- 1 pinch asafoetida
- ½ to ⅔ cup water or add as required
- salt as required
- 2 to 3 tablespoons chopped coriander leaves
whole spices for dal fry:
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- ½ inch cinnamon
- 2 to 3 cloves
- 2 green cardamoms
- 1 tej patta or indian bay leaf
how to make recipe
cooking dal (lentils):
pick and rinse the lentils a couple of times. if you want you can also soak the lentils in water for an hour.
add the lentils in a pressure cooker along with a pinch of turmeric powder. also add 2 cups water.
pressure cook for 18 to 20 minutes on a low to medium flame.
when the pressure settles down on its own, open the lid and check the dals.
the lentils should be cooked very well and softened.
lightly mash and keep aside.
making dhaba style dal fry:
in a kadai or pan, heat 1.5 tablespoon oil or ghee.
add all the whole spices and saute them till they crackle and become fragrant.
then add the chopped onions.
stir often and saute till the onions turn light golden.
then add 1 tsp crushed ginger, 1 tsp crushed garlic, 2 to 3 slit green chilies and 2 to 3 dry red chilies. mix well and saute till the raw aroma of ginger & garlic goes away.
add crushed kasuri methi and stir.
now add the chopped tomatoes. stir and saute till the tomatoes soften.
then add 1/4 tsp turmeric powder, 1/2 tsp red chilli powder, 1/2 tsp coriander powder, 1/4 tsp garam masala powder and a pinch of asafoetida.
mix the spice powders with the rest of the onion-tomato masala.
add the cooked dal and mix well.
add water and stir very well.
season with salt and mix again.
simmer the dhaba dal on a low flame till the dal thickens a bit.
keep on stirring the dal fry at intervals so that it does not stick to the bottom of the pan.
when the dal fry is done, switch off the flame. add chopped coriander leaves. reserve some coriander leaves for garnishing.
garnish with some coriander leaves and serve the dhaba style dal hot with rotis or parathas. you can also do the dhungar method if you want and then serve the dal fry.
overall you can also add ½ cup mixed lentils or 180 grams mixed lentils.
how to make dhaba style dal fry recipe:
a) cooking lentils:
1. pick and rinse the lentils a couple of times. if you want you can also soak the lentils in water for an hour.
2. add the lentils in a pressure cooker along with a pinch of turmeric powder.
3. also add 2 cups water.
4. pressure cook for 18 to 20 minutes on a low to medium flame. when the pressure settles down on its own, open the lid and check the dals. the lentils should be cooked very well and softened. depending on the quality of lentils, they may take less or more time to cook. lightly mash the dal and keep aside. if you soak the lentils, then it will take less time to pressure cook. the lentils can also be cooked in a pot. just add 2 to 2.5 cups water and cook them covered in a deep and thick bottomed pot or pan. though cooking in a pot and pan will take more time.
b) preparing dal fry:
1. in a kadai or thick bottomed pan, heat 1.5 tablespoon oil or ghee. add all the whole spices and saute them till they crackle and become fragrant.
2. then add the chopped onions.
3. on a low to medium flame, stir often and saute till the onions turn light golden.
4. then add 1 teaspoon crushed ginger, 1 teaspoon crushed garlic, 2 to 3 slit green chilies & 2 to 3 dry red chilies.
5. mix well and saute till the raw aroma of ginger and garlic goes away.
6. add 1 teaspoon kasuri methi (crushed) and stir.
7. now add the chopped tomatoes.
8. mix well and begin to saute the tomatoes on a low to medium flame.
9. stir and saute till the tomatoes soften.
10. then add ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder, ½ teaspoon red chilli powder, ½ teaspoon coriander powder, ¼ teaspoon garam masala powder and a pinch of asafoetida.
11. mix the spice powders with the rest of the onion-tomato masala.
12. add the cooked dal.
13. mix well.
14. add ½ to ⅔ cup water or as required. for a thicker consistency add less water.
15. stir and mix very well.
15. season with salt and mix again.
16. simmer the dal fry on a low flame for about 6 to 7 minutes or till the dal thickens a bit. keep on stirring the dal at intervals so that it does not stick to the bottom of the pan.
17. when the dhaba style dal fry is done, switch off the flame. add about 1 to 2 tablespoons chopped coriander leaves. reserve the remaining 1 tablespoon coriander leaves for garnish.
18. garnish with some coriander leaves and serve the dal fry hot with rotis or parathas. you can also do the dhungar method if you want and then serve the dal fry. i have shared the dhungar method photos in this restaurant style palak paneer recipe steps and also in this dal makhani recipe.
i started vegrecipesofindia.com in feb 2009. it is a pure vegetarian blog and shares recipes with step by step photos.
i am passionate about cooking from childhood and learnt cooking from my elders. a home science degree course further enhanced my cooking and baking skills professionally along with an internship in a five star hotel. i am trained both in mainstream indian as well as international cuisines.
all the 1800 recipes posted on blog are tried and tested and made healthy wherever possible. the recipes are detailed and with step by step pictures that will easily help you to make delicious and tasty vegetarian food.
- Festival Recipes2018.09.19bhakarwadi recipe, how to make bhakarwadi recipe | bakarwadi recipe
- Festival Recipes2018.09.05kozhukattai recipe, how to make kozhukattai recipe for ganesh chaturthi
- Dinner Recipes2018.08.01macaroni recipe | indian style macaroni recipe | macaroni pasta recipe
- Cooking Tips & Methods2018.07.24custard recipe, how to make custard | vanilla custard recipe