Dahi wali arbi recipe – arbi is a regular root veggie at home. So most of the times with arbi I make the sukhi or dry arbi recipe and sometimes this curry.
Arbi is the hindi name for colocasia or taro roots. in this dahi wali arbi recipe, the arbi is cooked with the masala and yogurt. the spice which has a dominant aroma and flavor in this curry is carom seeds/ajwain.
The recipe can also be made without yogurt and still tastes good. when there is no yogurt, I make the recipe by adding some extra tomatoes to the arbi. Below pic is of sliced arbi soaking in salted water.
This dahi wali arbi is again my mil’s recipe and this is how I have learned to make this Punjabi dahi wali arbi from her. the dish goes well with phulkas or chapatis. Even tastes good with rice.
You can also have a look at these similar recipes:
Note: if making this for the Navratri vrat, then skip the onions & garlic. Vegans can make the same curry with cashew curd. I haven’t tried it yet, but I did try cashew curd in other Indian recipes and it worked really well.
Few more important curry recipes on the blog are:
If you made this recipe, please be sure to rate it in the recipe card below. If you want more delicious vegetarian Indian recipes delivered straight to your inbox, Sign Up for my email newsletter.
Like this Recipe?
Pin it Now to Remember it Later
dahi wali arbi
- 200 or 250 grams colocasia (arbi or taro roots)
- ½ cup yogurt, beaten (curd or dahi)
- 1 medium size onion, chopped finely
- 3 medium size tomatoes, chopped finely
- 1 teaspoon ginger garlic paste
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- ½ to ⅔ teaspoon carom seeds (ajwain)
- ½ teaspoon red chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon garam masala powder
- 2 or 2.5 cups water
- 2 tablespoon oil
- rock salt or black salt or regular salt
- First wash the arbi to remove all the mud from them.
- Now oil your palms before you peel and slice the arbi.
- They can be itchy when slicing, so to avoid that oil your palms.
- Peel the arbi and cut each arbi vertically into two or four pieces.
- Soak them in salted water for 30 minutes.
making dahi wali arbi
- In a pan or pressure cooker heat oil.
- First fry the ajwain seeds.
- Then add the onions and fry till transparent.
- Now add the ginger garlic paste and saute till the raw smell of the paste goes away.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and stir.
- Also add all the dry spice powders.
- Saute the till oil starts to leaves the masala.
- Drain the arbi and add them to the masala. saute for 1-2 minutes.
- Now add the yogurt and stir.
- Add water and salt. mix well.
- Cover the pan or the pressure cooker and cook the arbi till done.
- For cooking in pressure cooker, cook for approx 4-6 whistles or till the arbi becomes soft and well cooked.
- Garnish with coriander leaves.
- Serve dahi wali arbi hot with some rotis or phulkas.
- If not using yogurt, then just add one or two tomatoes extra.
- You can also puree the tomatoes instead of chopping them.
- Skip the onion-garlic for a no onion no garlic version.
- Use vegan yogurt like cashew curd to veganize the dish.
- Use fresh yogurt so that it does not curdle.
- If you want the curry to be a little thick then just cook it without lid till you get the consistency you want.
- You can also adjust the spice powders as per your taste. For a more spicier version, increase the amount of red chili powder.
Like our videos? Then do follow and subscribe to us on youtube to get the latest Recipe Video updates.
All our content & photos are copyright protected. Please do not copy. As a blogger, if you you want to adapt this recipe or make a youtube video, then please write the recipe in your own words and give a clickable link back to the recipe on this url.