Creamy corn vegetable soup recipe with step by step photos – sharing yet another sweet, creamy soup made with fresh sweet corn and vegetables.
In this soup, the creaminess and sweetness come from the corn kernels. You can also make this soup from tinned corn kernels. But fresh corn is the best.
This soup is comforting for the winters. Both adults as well as kids will like this soup. The soup can also be served to toddlers.
Tips and suggestions
- You can add veggies of your choice or what you have in the kitchen.
- You can even make the soup without vegetables. If you don’t plan to add vegetables in this soup then you can also check this recipe of Corn soup which has a different taste and consistency than this one and is made without vegetables. another delicious variation you can make is Makai ka shorba which is Indian style thin soup made with corn and tastes good.
- There is no thickener like corn starch or cream added in this recipe.
- I have used milk in the recipe as it makes the soup rich. However for a less rich version you can also use water or vegetable stock instead of milk.
- You can add sugar and black pepper as per your taste. Sugar can also be skipped if you prefer.
Serve this soup plain or with some toasted bread. Also makes for a good starter soup in a continental menu.
How to prepare creamy corn and vegetable soup
1. first steam or boil fresh corn cobs till the kernels are tender. You can steam them in a pressure cooker, steamer or electric cooker.
2. then scrape off the corn kernels with a knife. Keep about 3 tbsp of the corn kernels aside.
3. collect the remaining corn kernels in a blender or grinder jar. Add sugar.
4. add milk. Here I blended some corn with half of the milk and added remaining milk later. Overall 1 cup of milk needs to be added while blending.
5. blend to a puree. Keep aside.
6. melt butter in a pan or saucepan.
7. add the grated and finely chopped veggies – finely chopped carrots, french beans, capsicum/bell pepper & onions. Spring onions/scallions can also be added instead of onions.
8. stir and saute the veggies for 7 to 8 minutes on a low to medium flame. Then add celery. Saute for a minute. Skip celery if you do not have it.
9. now add the prepared corn puree. Stir & saute for a minute.
10. add ½ cup of milk.
11. Then add 1.5 cups water.
12. using a wired whisk or a spatula stir the mixture very well. Be careful that while mixing the soup does not splutter out.
13. On a low flame let the soup come to a gentle heat. Don’t overheat or boil.
14. lastly add salt.
15. then black pepper. Stir & switch off the flame.
16. stir and add the reserved 3 tbsp steamed corn kernels.
17. Stir again and Serve the soup in bowls. you can garnish it with some celery, spring onion greens or even some grated cheddar cheese.
More Soup recipes
- Noodle soup – soup made with mix veggies and noodles.
- Manchow soup – spicy and hot Indo Chinese soup made from mixed vegetables.
- Hot and sour soup – spicy, sour and hot soup from the Indo Chinese cuisine.
- Veg soup – light and nutritious clear soup.
- Tomato soup – easy to prepare restaurant-style soup.
Please be sure to rate the recipe in the recipe card below if you have made it. For more vegetarian inspirations, Sign Up for my emails or follow me on Instagram, Youtube, Facebook, Pinterest or Twitter.
Creamy Corn Vegetable Soup (Without Cream)
- 2 cups corn kernels or 2 medium corn cobs
- 1.5 cups milk at room temperature
- 1.5 cups water or add as required
- 2 tablespoon finely chopped onion or spring onion whites (scallions)
- 4 tablespoon finely chopped carrots
- 2 tablespoon finely chopped french beans
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped celery (optional)
- ½ teaspoon black pepper powder or freshly crushed black pepper or add as required
- ½ tablespoon sugar or as required - you can skip the sugar if you prefer
- 1 tablespoon Butter salted or unsalted (if adding salted butter then keep a check when adding salt)
- salt as required
for garnishing soup
- chopped spring onions greens or finely chopped celery
- grated cheddar cheese (optional)
- First steam or boil fresh corn cobs till the kernels are tender. You can steam them in a pressure cooker, steamer or electric cooker.
- Then scrape off the corn kernels with a knife. Reserve about 3 tbsp of the corn kernels aside.
- Collect the remaining corn kernels in a blender or grinder jar. Add sugar and milk.
- Blend to a puree. Keep aside.
making creamy corn vegetable soup
- Melt butter in a pan or saucepan. Add the finely chopped veggies - carrots, french beans, capsicum & onions.
- Stir and saute the veggies for 7 to 8 minutes on a low to medium flame.
- Then add celery. Saute for a minute.
- Now add the prepared corn puree. Stir & saute for a minute.
- Add the remaining 1/2 cup of milk. Then add 1.5 cups water. Using a wired whisk or a spatula stir the mixture.
- On a low flame let the soup come to a gentle heat. Don't overheat or boil.
- Lastly add salt and black pepper. Stir & switch off the flame. Add the reserved 3 tbsp steamed corn kernels in the soup.
- Stir again and serve the soup in bowls. You can garnish with some celery, spring onion greens or even some grated cheddar cheese.