chutney and sambar are two apt accompaniments for idli and dosa. if you are also fond of trying different flavors of chutneys like me, then you can make many varieties of coconut chutney for south indians snacks apart from the classic coconut chutney which most of us love. you can also check this hotel style coconut chutney and spicy coconut chutney recipe.
like most chutney recipes, this coconut garlic chutney is also a simple and easy chutney which will not take much time to prepare. this chutney has tempering or tadka added to it. i have already posted another variation of making coconut garlic chutney which does not have tempering done towards the end.
with so many chutney recipes on the blog, you can guess, how much i am fond of chutneys, especially coconut chutney ! in the pics the chutney is served with ragi (finger millet) dosa.
coconut garlic chutney recipe card below:
coconut garlic chutney recipe
ingredients (1 cup = 250 ml)
main ingredients for coconut chutney:
- ½ cup grated coconut - tightly packed, fresh or frozen
- 2 tablespoon roasted chana dal (roasted bengal gram)
- 1 to 2 green chilies (hari mirch) - chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped coriander leaves (dhania patta)
- 3 to 4 garlic cloves (lahsun) - chopped
- ½ cup water or as required
- rock salt or regular salt as required
for tempering (tadka or chaunk)
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds (rai)
- 1 teaspoon urad dal (husked black gram)
- 1 pinch asafoetida (hing)
- 10 to 12 curry leaves (kadi patta)
- 1 to 2 dry red chilies (sookhi lal mirch) - kept whole or broken and deseeded
how to make recipe
- first grind the coconut, roasted chana dal, green chilies, coriander leaves, garlic in a chutney grinder or blender with water.
- season the chutney with salt and keep aside.
- in a small pan, heat oil on a low flame.
- when the oil becomes hot, add the mustard seeds and urad dal.
- keep the flame low.
- let mustard seeds crackle and the urad dal get reddish brown.
- they will take almost the same time to get cooked.
- then add the dry red chilies, curry leaves and asafoetida.
- stir and fry till the curry leaves become crisp and the red chilies change color.
- pour the hot tempering in the prepared chutney.
- stir and then serve the garlic coconut chutney with idli, dosa, vadai or upma.
how to make coconut garlic chutney recipe:
1. firstly measure and keep all the ingredients ready for making coconut garlic chutney.
2. in a blender jar, add ½ cup grated coconut (fresh or frozen), 2 tablespoon roasted chana dal (roasted bengal gram) and 1 tablespoon chopped coriander leaves (dhania patta).
3. next add 1 to 2 chopped green chilies (hari mirch) and 3 to 4 chopped garlic cloves (lahsun).
4. also add salt as required.
5. lastly pour ½ cup water or as required.
6. grind the chutney till smooth.
7. remove the chutney in a heat proof bowl or dish and keep aside.
8. then in a small pan, heat 1 tablespoon oil on a low flame. when the oil becomes hot, add 1 teaspoon mustard seeds (rai) and 1 teaspoon urad dal (husked black gram).
9. keep the flame low. let mustard seeds crackle and the urad dal get reddish brown. they will take almost the same time to get cooked.
10. then add 1 to 2 whole dry red chilies (or broken chilies), 10 to 12 curry leaves (kadi patta) and 1 pinch of asafoetida (hing).
11. stir and fry till the curry leaves become crisp and the red chilies change color.
12. pour the hot tempering in the chutney.
13. stir the coconut chutney very well.
- i started vegrecipesofindia.com in feb 2009. it is a pure vegetarian blog and shares recipes with step by step photos.
i am passionate about cooking from childhood and learnt cooking from my elders. a home science degree course further enhanced my cooking and baking skills professionally along with an internship in a five star hotel. i am trained both in mainstream indian as well as international cuisines.
all the 1800 recipes posted on blog are tried and tested and made healthy wherever possible. the recipes are detailed and with step by step pictures that will easily help you to make delicious and tasty vegetarian food.
- Festival Recipes2018.09.19bhakarwadi recipe, how to make bhakarwadi recipe | bakarwadi recipe
- Festival Recipes2018.09.05kozhukattai recipe, how to make kozhukattai recipe for ganesh chaturthi
- Dinner Recipes2018.08.01macaroni recipe | indian style macaroni recipe | macaroni pasta recipe
- Cooking Tips & Methods2018.07.24custard recipe, how to make custard | vanilla custard recipe