choliya pulao recipe – a simple, easy and healthy pulao made from fresh green chickpeas (choliya).
fresh green chickpeas or choliya as these are called in punjabi, are usually available in winter season in many states of india especially in western and northern parts of india. in hindi, these are called as hara chana and in marathi they are called harbara.
as winter is going on, the green chickpeas are easily available in the market. my mom had got a bunch of choliya. i was initially going to make aloo choliya, but then decided to made this choliya pulao. the tender greens of chickpea plant are also available during winters and with them i make this recipe of chane ka saag.
the pic that you see below is the way these green chickpeas are sold in the market. inside each green pods, there is one or two chickpeas.
in north india, many people eat the choliya as such also. i remember seeing folks, holding a bunch of choliya stalks and leaves. peeling the pods and removing the chana and then eating them fresh while sitting in the sunlight. in harsh winters of northern india, it is customary to sit in sun… whenever it is possible as the sun does not come every day. after eating the choliya, many people put the bunch/pods outside the house as these are eaten by the cows. i myself have good memories of all of us peeling the chickpea pods back in our mumbai home.
the peeling and shelling the green chickpeas, take a lot of time. so its better done with more helping hands. the green chickpeas can be refrigerated for 2 to 3 days before you cook with them. better to use them in a few days or otherwise they start turning yellow.
while making any recipe with choliya, it is important to give them 2-3 whistles in the pressure cooker, as the chickpeas takes more time to cook. also nowadays we are getting not so tender variety of choliya here.
so when i made this pulao, i pressure cooked the choliya for a few whistles. otherwise, if you cook choliya and rice together then by the time choliya is cooked… the rice will become very soft and sticky. these green chickpeas retain shape even after cooking and do not become mushy.
if you are looking for more rice recipes then do check:
choliya pulao recipe
INGREDIENTS FOR choliya pulao recipe
- 1 cup fresh green chickpeas or choliya
- 1.25 cups basmati rice or long grained rice
- 1.5 cups water for pressure cooking the choliya initially
- 1.75 cups water for pressure cooking the rice
- 1 medium onion, sliced thinly
- 1 tej patta (indian bay leaf)
- 2 cloves (lavang)
- 1 cinnamon (dalchini)
- 1 green cardamom (choti elaichi)
- 1 teaspoon cumin (sabut jeera)
- 1 pinch asafoetida (hing)
- 3 tablespoon oil
HOW TO MAKE choliya pulao recipe
preparation to make choliya pulao
- rinse the rice in water till the water runs clean of the starch.
- soak rice in enough water for 30 mins. rinse the chickpeas.
- drain and then first cook the choliya or green chickpeas with 1.5 cups water in a pressure cooker for 2 to 3 whistles.
- once the pressure settles remove and drain the chickpeas. discard the water.
making choliya pulao
- use the same cooker for making the pulao. add oil in the cooker.
- fry all the whole spices till aromatic. add asafoetida and stir.
- add onions and saute them till golden.
- add the drained and cooked choliya or green chickpeas.
- stir and saute for a minute.
- drain the rice and add.
- stir and saute the rice for a few seconds. add water and salt.
- stir well and pressure cook the pulao for 2 whistles on a medium to high flame.
- once the pressure settles down, on its own, remove the lid and fluff the rice gently.
- serve choliya pulao hot with plain yogurt or a onion-tomato raita or vegetable raita.
- you can also garnish the pulao with coriander leaves if you prefer.