chocolate marzipan recipe with step by step photos – soft, melt in the mouth marzipan with cashew, chocolate and coconut goodness.
if you love chocolates and cashews then try these delicious chocolate marzipan…. i made them for the easter. i don’t know how to tell you. this chocolate marzipan was sooooo good. we finished it in one day 🙂 did not even keep it for easter. but i will make these again.
this is one of the traditional ways of making marzipan…. so be prepared to have some time, patience and a lot of hand exercise. in fact i wanted to make marzipan adding natural food colors. one of them was supposed to be a brown chocolate marzipan.
when making the marzipan, i added golden sugar…. my cane sugar was almost over…. as a result the whole mixture became brown. the idea of adding coloring through veggies/fruits, just failed there. so just made a whole batch of chocolate marzipan.
instead of rolling them in sugar, i rolled them in dry coconut flakes…. healthy and less sugary…. though you don’t need to roll them in sugar or coconut. you can just have them plain.
this chocolate marzipan recipe does not use any fat, oil, cream, milk and eggs in its preparation. so it is low fat, dairy free and eggless. healthy and wholesome. i have again adapted this recipe from book “festival cookbook” by vimla patil & monisha bharadwaj.
you could also make the marzipan from almonds instead of cashews. if the mixture becomes sticky add some powdered sugar and knead the dough. this will reduce the stickiness.
if you are looking for more chocolate recipes then do check:
chocolate marzipan recipe
INGREDIENTS FOR chocolate marzipan recipe
- 1 cup cashewnuts (kaju)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla powder or 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 4 tbsp water
- ½ cup dessicated coconut
- some sunflower oil to make the marzipan
HOW TO MAKE chocolate marzipan recipe
- grind the cashews with enough water (approx 1/4 to ⅓ cup water) to make a smooth paste.
- in a pan add the sugar and 4 tbsp water.
- heat the pan so that the sugar melts.
- add the cashewnut paste to this.
- mix and let the mixture thicken.
- now add the cocoa powder and vanilla powder or extract.
- mix well and continue to stir the mixture till it thickens.
- when it is thick enough, cool this mixture.
- now shape them in fruits or flowers in moulds or shape them with your hands.
- apply some oil to the moulds or your palms while shaping the marzipan.
- roll the marzipan in dessicated coconut
- serve chocolate marzipan directly. you can also keep chocolate marzipan in an air tight container and keep in the fridge.
- this chocolate marzipan recipe can be easily doubled or tripled.
- you can use almonds instead of cashews or both.
- the marzipan can also be used as an icing on cakes.
- if the mixture is not enough thick to be rolled into shapes after cooling, then reheat it again and let it thicken.
how to make chocolate marzipan recipe
1: add the cashews in a blender and make a fine paste with some water.
2: in a pan, add the sugar. what you see below is a combination of cane sugar and golden sugar, both organic and chemical free.
3: add water and let the sugar dissolve in the water.
4: now add the cashew paste
5: and mix it well with the rest of the mixture. keep on stirring on a low flame.
6: when the mixture thickens add cocoa powder and vanilla powder.
7: mix well and again keep on stirring…. see i told you… you have to do a lot of stirring.
8: the mixture will start to thicken
9: continue to stir and and let the mixture thicken as you see in the pic below.
10: now let the mixture cool. shape the mixture in fruit or flower shaped moulds. i did not have any moulds nor i am good in making flowers and fruits by hand. so i just made them into small balls. just so that the mixture does stick, apply some oil in your hands and shape the mixture into balls.
11: now roll the marzipan balls in a plate full of dessicated coconut, so that the coconut flakes get uniformly coated on the marzipan.
12: wrap them as gifts to share with your family, friends or serve chocolate marzipan directly. you can also store chocolate marzipan in an air-tight container and keep in the fridge.
have a great easter all my dear reader friends 🙂