chana vada or chickpea fritters recipe – an easy to make simple snack with dried chickpeas. these are similar to falafel in their texture and crunch, but the taste is different as they are flavored with indian herbs and spices.
i have given indian flavors to the vada or fritters. to make these vadas, you need to soak the dried chickpeas overnight or for 7 to 8 hours in water. then you drain and make a coarse paste of the soaked chickpeas with herbs and spices.
these chickpea vadas can also be stuffed in a burger bun or sandwich or pita bread or a wrap along with your favorite salad, sauces or dips.
chickpea fritters or chana vada recipe below:
chana vada recipe | chickpea fritters recipe
ingredients (1 cup = 250 ml)
- 1 cup dried white chickpeas (kabuli chana or chole or safed chana)
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds (sabut jeera)
- 1 or 2 green chili (hari mirch) - roughly chopped
- 1 pinch asafoetida (hing)
- ¾ inch ginger (adrak) - roughly chopped
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- ¼ cup chopped coriander leaves (dhania ke patte)
- ¾ teaspoon coriander powder (dhania powder)
- ½ teaspoon crushed black pepper (kuti hui kali mirch)
- 1.5 to 2 tablespoon rice flour
- ½ teaspoon sugar - optional
- salt as required
- oil for deep frying or shallow frying
how to make recipe
- rinse the chickpeas well. then soak them in enough water in a bowl or pan.
- keep covered for 7 to 8 hours or overnight.
- drain them well and add them to the wet grinder or chutney grinder.
- also add the chopped green chilies, ginger, asafoetida and cumin seeds.
- grind to a semi coarse mixture without adding water.
- add water only if required and if you are unable to grind the mixture. remove the chickpea mixture in a bowl.
- add finely chopped onions, coriander leaves, coriander powder, crushed black pepper, rice flour, sugar and salt. the rice flour helps in binding the mixture.
- mix very well.
- shape into round and flat vadas or patties.
- heat oil for deep or shallow frying in a kadai or pan. slid the vadas or patties into hot oil.
- let one side get half cooked and turn over carefully with a slotted spoon.
- fry the chickpea fritters till both sides are crisp and golden.
- note if you have added water while grinding the chickpeas, then you won't be able to shape them like patties. in this case drop spoonfuls of the batter in hot oil while frying.
- drain the chana vada on kitchen napkins to remove excess oil.
- serve chana vada hot with green chutney or coconut chutney.
*to make a gluten free version, skip the asafoetida or add gluten free asafoetida.
steps to make chickpea fritters or chana vada recipe:
1. grind the soaked & drained chickpeas/chana, cumin, green chilies, ginger and asafoetida to a coarse paste. add onions, rice flour and the rest of the spices to it. mix well.
2. shape the mixture into round vadas or patties.
3. heat oil and then shallow or deep fry the chana vadas till crisp and golden.
4. drain chana vada on paper towels to remove excess oil.
- i started vegrecipesofindia.com in feb 2009. it is a pure vegetarian blog and shares recipes with step by step photos.
i am passionate about cooking from childhood and learnt cooking from my elders. a home science degree course further enhanced my cooking and baking skills professionally along with an internship in a five star hotel. i am trained both in mainstream indian as well as international cuisines.
all the 1800 recipes posted on blog are tried and tested and made healthy wherever possible. the recipes are detailed and with step by step pictures that will easily help you to make delicious and tasty vegetarian food.
- Festival Recipes2018.09.19bhakarwadi recipe, how to make bhakarwadi recipe | bakarwadi recipe
- Festival Recipes2018.09.05kozhukattai recipe, how to make kozhukattai recipe for ganesh chaturthi
- Dinner Recipes2018.08.01macaroni recipe | indian style macaroni recipe | macaroni pasta recipe
- Cooking Tips & Methods2018.07.24custard recipe, how to make custard | vanilla custard recipe