Cheese Straws Recipe – A quick to make snack that is a favorite with the family.
This snack can be had anytime. They are addictive and one can go munching on them. Usually I make a small or medium jar, so that we can have these crisp cheesy snack as a munch on. Sometimes we have these cheese straws with tea or coffee.
I first learnt this recipe during my home science days and from there onwards, have made these straws many times. The texture of these cheese straws are not like the ones you get outside. These are crisp and crumbly. These straws are made from whole wheat flour/atta. If you want you can make them from all purpose flour/maida or half-half of both the flours.
If you are fond of cheese and biscuits then you might like whole wheat cheddar cheese biscuits, eggless cheese biscuits on stove top and cheese biscuits recipe. Instead of making straws you can also use a biscuit cutter and make cute shapes.
You might also like to try these cheese recipes:
Cheese Straws Recipe
INGREDIENTS FOR Cheese Straws Recipe
- 3 cups whole wheat flour/atta
- 3/4 cup chilled butter
- 1 tsp black pepper, crushed or powdered or add as required
- 2 tsp yellow mustard powder
- 1/4 or 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper or red chili powder
- 1 cup tightly packed grated regular cheese or cheddar cheese
- 7 to 8 tbsp of water or milk
- salt as required
HOW TO MAKE Cheese Straws Recipe
making cheese straws dough
- mix all the dry ingredients very well - whole wheat flour, black pepper, mustard powder, cayenne pepper or red chili powder and salt.
- add butter to the dry flour mixture. with your fingers rub the butter in the flour to make a bread crumb like mixture.
- add grated cheese and lightly mix.
- then add water or milk and bring the entire mixture together to form a dough.
- if the mixture appears dry, then add more water or milk.
- don't knead as we don't want gluten to form.
- cover in a bowl or in a cling film and refrigerate the dough for 30 to 40 mins.
- you can also refrigerate overnight.
- divide the dough into 3 to 4 portions.
making cheese straws
- take one portion and on a lightly dusted work surface, roll into 1/4 inch width rectangle or circle.
- with a sharp knife, cut the rolled dough vertically and make strips.
- you can also use biscuit cutter to get various shapes.
- bake cheese straws in a pre heated oven at 180 degrees celsius for 12 to 15 minutes till golden and crisp.
- remove on a rack and once cooled, store cheese straws in an air-tight box.