Chana dal bhel – spicy and tangy Indian street food of chana dal chaat made from masala chana dal or spiced bengal gram. Chana dal bhel puri is another delicious variation of bhel apart from Sukha bhel puri and wet version of Bhel puri recipe. It is a popular street food equally popular in most parts of India. Often served outside schools, colleges and in railway stations. If you have traveled in Indian trains then you must have seen this bhel recipe.
Chana dal bhel is a very simple and quick recipe and a good tea time snack. Ideal for monsoons when you want to eat something spicy and tangy along with a cup of masala chai or coffee.
In this bhel, masala chana dal is used. masala or spiced chana dal can be made at home or brought from the stores. They are basically fried bengal gram which are heavily spiced.
The masala chana dal is mixed with finely chopped onions, tomatoes, green chili and coriander for garnishing and topped with sev. As a variation you can also add raw mangoes or crushed papdi or cucumber.
This bhel is served almost all over India with some variation. In Mumbai, fresh mangoes or crushed papdi are added to this chaat. Whereas in Delhi side, I don’t remember anyone using mango in the chaat.
Be liberal in sprinkling lemon and chaat masala over it as per your taste buds. You have to eat this chana dal chaat immediately… Because if it becomes moist then you won’t get the crisp taste. Ideally, it should be crisp and spicy in taste and it goes well as a tea time snack.
If you are looking for more street food recipes then do check:
If you made this recipe, please be sure to rate it in the recipe card below. Sign Up for my email newsletter or you can follow me on Instagram, Facebook, Youtube, Pinterest or Twitter for more vegetarian inspirations.
chana dal chaat
- 1.5 cup masala chana dal (spiced and fried bengal gram)
- 1 medium sized onion, very finely chopped
- 1 medium sized tomato, very finely chopped
- 1 green chili, very finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped raw mango, optional
- 1 tablespoon coriander leaves, chopped
- ½ or 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon chaat masala powder
- crushed papdi, optional
- sev for garnishing
- few coriander leaves for garnishing
- salt as required - as there is already salt in the chana dal. so add carefully
- a few papdis for serving, optional
- Add masala chana dal and finely chopped onion, tomatoes, green chili, raw mangoes, coriander leaves in a bowl.
- Add salt, chaat masala and lemon juice. Mix it well.
- Stir in the crushed papdis.
- Serve the chaat immediately in plates or bowls topped with sev and coriander and some papdis. If you don't eat this chana dal bhel immediately then it becomes moist and you won't get the crisp taste.
- Enjoy the chana bhel chaat with tea or coffee.
Like our videos? Then do follow and subscribe to us on youtube to get the latest Recipe Video updates.
All our content & photos are copyright protected. Please do not copy. As a blogger, if you you want to adapt this recipe or make a youtube video, then please write the recipe in your own words and give a clickable link back to the recipe on this url.
Like this Recipe?
Pin it Now to Remember it Later