this chaat style aloo toast sandwich is not only an easy and yummy sandwich recipe but also a special recipe. for the first time i am posting a recipe which is contributed by a regular reader of this blog.
i thank swetha tipparaju for sharing this easy & tasty recipe with all of us. she has also shared some more recipes which i will post in the coming days.
this toast sandwich recipe is different from the masala toast sandwich i make, as there is no green chutney applied to the breads. plus the aloo/potatoes are just mashed and not tempered with any spices.
we all at home liked the chaat style toast sandwich, when i made it. it sort of just melted in the mouth. great to have as a quick breakfast, snack or brunch with masala chai… thanks to swetha…..
whenever i have toast sandwiches with mashed aloo or veggies, i am transported back to my good old mumbai college days, where i would have toast sandwiches many times in a week.
the sandwich wala near my college would make nice bombay veg sandwiches and the dosa wala would make yummy dosas. so sandwiches or dosa were everyday lunch.
the aloo toast sandwich recipe is very easy to make. if you have leftover mashed aloo/potatoes, then its easy, as no boiling and mashing the aloo is needed… you can make these sandwiches with either brown bread or white bread or whole wheat bread. we always use brown bread or whole wheat bread, as obviously they are a healthier option than white bread.
aloo toast sandwich recipe below:
aloo toast sandwich recipe
this chaat style aloo toast sandwich is an easy and yummy sandwich recipe.
ingredients (1 cup = 250 ml)
- 14 slices brown bread or white bread
- 5 medium sized potatoes, boiled, peeled and mashed
- 1 teaspoon chaat masala or add as required
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder or add as required
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder (jeera powder)
- ¼ cup chopped coriander leaves
- ½ cup grated cheese or 7 cheese slices or cheese spread, as required
- butter as required, optional
- any veggie slices like cucumber or tomato or onion slices, optional
- salt or black salt to taste, as required
how to make recipe
- mix chopped coriander leaves, chaat masala, red chili powder, cumin powder, salt with the mashed potatoes. add more of the spice powders if you want some more spice and tanginess.
- on slices of bread, apply butter.
- now apply cheese spread or top up with some grated cheese or place a cheese slice.
- add the mashed potato mixture on top of the cheese.
- top up the mashed potato with a little grated cheese
- cover with another buttered bread slice.
- if not using grated cheese, apply cheese spread on both the bread slices.
- any veggie of your choice can also be added to the sandwich.
- toast or grill the sandwich till browned and crisp.
- spread some butter on the hot toast sandwich and serve aloo toast sandwich hot with green chutney or tomato ketchup.
so lets begin aloo toast sandwich recipe:
1. add coriander leaves, chaat masala, chili powder, cumin powder and salt to the mashed aloo/potatoes. mix these spice powders and coriander leaves with the mashed aloo.
2. apply some butter on the bread slices. not necessary, but you can always have some butter on the bread 🙂 ….. the next comes the cheese – either top up the bread with grated cheese or apply cheese spread or soft cheese. be generous :-)…. i applied cheese spread on the both the bread slices. now top up one slice of bread with the mashed aloo mixture.
3. you can also add some veggie slices on top of the mashed aloo, like tomato or onion or beetroot or capsicum slices or a combo of the veggies. a suggestion would also be to use sprouted mung beans as a topping.
4. if using grated cheese, then add a little cheese on the mashed aloo/potatoes. cover with the buttered bread and toast or grill the sandwich. once the sandwich is browned from both the sides, remove from the sandwich maker. apply some butter on the hot sandwiches.
have these tasty chaat style toast sandwiches with tomato ketchup or coriander mint chutney. serve the aloo toast sandwiches hot.
- i started vegrecipesofindia.com in feb 2009. it is a pure vegetarian blog and shares recipes with step by step photos.
i am passionate about cooking from childhood and learnt cooking from my elders. a home science degree course further enhanced my cooking and baking skills professionally along with an internship in a five star hotel. i am trained both in mainstream indian as well as international cuisines.
all the 1800 recipes posted on blog are tried and tested and made healthy wherever possible. the recipes are detailed and with step by step pictures that will easily help you to make delicious and tasty vegetarian food.
- Festival Recipes2018.09.19bhakarwadi recipe, how to make bhakarwadi recipe | bakarwadi recipe
- Festival Recipes2018.09.05kozhukattai recipe, how to make kozhukattai recipe for ganesh chaturthi
- Dinner Recipes2018.08.01macaroni recipe | indian style macaroni recipe | macaroni pasta recipe
- Cooking Tips & Methods2018.07.24custard recipe, how to make custard | vanilla custard recipe