butter naan recipe with step by step photos – easy, healthy and soft whole wheat butter naans made on stove top or tawa. naan and rich north indian curries always make a good pair. so on days when i don’t make the usual phulkas or rotis, i end up making naans.
easy to make are these light and soft indian breads. naan are always made with all purpose flour/maida. yet the same soft texture can be achieved with whole wheat flour. i have used the regular chapati atta for making these naans.
generally, butter naans which we get in restaurants is slathered with butter. i always add some butter in the dough and then spread some butter on the top of the naan, while serving.
usually naans are cooked in tandoor (clay ovens). at home you can cook grill them in an oven or cook them on a tava/griddle. since we prefer burnt spots on the naan, i always cook the naan partly on fire. though this is optional and you cook the naan on the tava completely, like we cook chapatis.
i have already posted few popular naan recipes like:
butter naan recipe below:
wheat butter naan recipe - soft whole wheat butter naans made on tawa or stove top. recipe makes 12 to 14 butter naans
- 3 cups whole wheat flour (atta)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon instant yeast
- 1 cup water or as required
- 3 to 4 tablespoon curd (dahi or yogurt)
- 2 tablespoon softened butter, unsalted or salted
- ¾ teaspoon salt or as required
- butter as required for spreading on the naan
- in a bowl, take the instant yeast, sugar. add water and stir the mixture.
- then add 1 cup whole wheat flour and stir or whisk it with the rest of the yeast mixture.
- cover and keep aside to leaven for 40 to 45 minutes.
- then add the remaining whole wheat flour, salt, butter and curd/yogurt.
- knead to a soft and smooth dough.
- if the dough become sticky, add a few tbsp of flour and knead again. if its dry, then add some more water.
- cover the naan dough and keep aside for 25 to 30 minutes.
- divide the dough into medium balls.
- give a resting time for the dough balls for about 15 to 20 minutes. cover and keep aside.
lightly dust the dough balls with some flour.
you can also sprinkle some sesame seeds or nigella seeds on the dough ball and then roll it.
- roll into a small to medium sized rounds/rotis of medium thickness.
- place the naan on a hot tava or griddle.
- when the bottom is partly cooked, flip. you will see bubbles on the naan.
- when the second side is cooked, remove the naan with a pair of tongs and place the side which was cooked first facing the fire.
the butter naan will puff up. flip and brown the naan.
- place the hot naan in a roti basket or casserole. spread some butter on top.
make butter naans this way. if not serving straight away, then stack them in the roti basket.
- or else you can serve these butter naans immediately.
this approximate nutrition info is per butter naan:
how to make butter naan recipe on tawa:
1. take ½ tsp yeast and 1 tbsp sugar in a bowl.
2. pour 1 cup water or as required.
3, add 1 cup whole wheat flour.
4. begin to whisk the mixture.
5. whisk the entire mixture till smooth.
6. cover and allow this mixture to sit for 30 to 45 minutes.
7. then add the remaining 2 cups whole wheat flour, 2 tbsp softened butter, 3 to 4 tbsp curd/dahi and ¾ tsp salt or as required.
8. mix everything and begin to knead. knead to a smooth, soft dough.
9. cover and allow the dough to leaven for about 25 to 30 minutes.
10. divide the dough in medium sized balls.
11. cover and keep aside the dough balls for 15 to 20 minutes.
12. take a dough ball and lightly sprinkle some flour over it. you can also sprinkle some sesame seeds or nigella seeds on the dough ball and then roll it.
13. with a rolling pin (belan), roll into rounds with medium thickness.
14. on a hot tava, place the butter naan. you will see bubbles appearing.
15. when the base is partly cooked, turn over the naan and let the other side get cooked.
16. when this side is cooked, remove naan with the pair of tongs and place the first cooked side touching the fire. the butter naans will puff up. flip and brown the other side too.
17. here is a pic of naan sprinkled with nigella seeds, getting puffed.
18. place the butter naan in a roti basket or casserole and spread butter on top. prepare all butter naans this way. you can stack these naans in the roti basket and then serve later or serve them immediately.
This post was last modified on May 20, 2018, 12:38 pm