Bhindi raita recipe with step by step photos – this bhindi raita is a nice variation of raita different from the usual Indian raita recipes.
In this raita recipe, the bhindi is first fried in oil and then added to yogurt with the spices. the fried bhindi adds a lot of texture and crunch in the otherwise smooth and creamy raita.
So if you have few left over bhindis in the fridge then its an good raita to go along with your meals.
You can serve the bhindi raita as a side dish with an Indian meal or with dal-rice, jeera rice or veg pulao.
Stepwise okra raita or bhindi raita
1. Rinse 10 to 12 bhindi (okra) in water well. Drain the water.
2. Wipe the bhindi with a clean kitchen napkin.
3. Chop them in ¼ or ⅓ inch slices and keep aside.
4. Heat oil as required for shallow frying bhindi in a pan or kadai. instead of shallow frying, you can also saute the bhindi in 2 tbsp oil.
5. Add the chopped bhindi.
6. Fry them till they are golden and crisp. You can fry the bhindi in batches, if you want.
7. Drain the fried bhindi on paper towels.
8. Whisk 1 cup curd (dahi or yogurt) in a bowl till smooth.
9. Then add ¼ teaspoon of red chili powder (lal mirch powder), ¼ teaspoon of black pepper powder (kali mirch powder), ½ teaspoon of roasted cumin powder (bhuna jeera powder) and salt as required.
10. Next add the fried bhindi. You can keep some fried bhindi for garnishing.
12. Mix well.
13. Garnish the okra raita with a few slices of fried bhindi or coriander leaves.
14. Serve Bhindi raita immediately with an Indian meal or with dal-rice, jeera rice or veg pulao.
If you are looking for more Raita recipes then do check:
Have you made this recipe and liked it? Please leave a star rating in the recipe card below or share the recipe on facebook, whatsapp, twitter & pinterest. For recipe updates Subscribe to our newsletter and follow us on Facebook, Instagram, Youtube, Pinterest and Twitter.
Like this Recipe?
Pin it Now to Remember it Later
- 10 to 12 medium sized bhindi (okra or lady finger) - green or purple
- 1 cup curd (yogurt)
- 1 pinch red chili powder or ¼ teaspoon red chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper powder
- ½ teaspoon roasted cumin powder
- salt as required
- oil for shallow frying
- Rinse the bhindi (okra) in water well. Wipe the bhindi with a clean kitchen napkin.
- Chop them in ¼ or ⅓ inch and keep aside.
- Heat oil for shallow frying in a pan or kadai.
- Add the chopped bhindi and fry them till they are crisp. you can fry the bhindi in batches, if you want.
- Drain the fried bhindi on paper towels.
- Whisk the curd (yogurt) in a bowl till smooth.
- Add all the spice powders, salt and the fried bhindi. Stir.
- Garnish the raita with a few slices of fried bhindi or coriander leaves.
- Serve bhindi raita immediately with an indian meal or with dal -rice, jeera rice or veg pulao.
- Instead of shallow frying, you can also saute the bhindi in 2 tbsp oil.
Like our videos? Then do follow and subscribe to us on youtube to get the latest Recipe Video updates.
All our content & photos are copyright protected. Please do not copy. As a blogger, if you you want to adapt this recipe or make a youtube video, then please write the recipe in your own words and give a clickable link back to the recipe on this url.