bhindi raita recipe with step by step photos – this bhindi raita is a nice variation of raita different from the usual indian raita recipes.
in this raita recipe, the bhindi is first fried in oil and then added to yogurt with the spices. the fried bhindi adds a lot of texture and crunch in the otherwise smooth and creamy raita.
so if you have few left over bhindis in the fridge then its an good raita to go along with your meals. another recipe in the blog with bhindi and yogurt combination is dahi bhindi recipe.
bhindi raita recipe card below:
bhindi raita recipe | okra raita recipe
bhindi raita recipe - an different variety of raita made with bhindi or okra.
ingredients (1 cup = 250 ml)
- 10 to 12 medium sized bhindi (okra or lady finger) - green or purple
- 1 cup curd (yogurt or dahi)
- 1 pinch red chili powder or ¼ teaspoon red chili powder (lal mirch powder)
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper powder (kali mirch powder)
- ½ teaspoon roasted cumin powder (bhuna jeera powder)
- salt as required
- oil for shallow frying
how to make recipe
rinse the bhindi (okra) in water well. wipe the bhindi with a clean kitchen napkin.
chop them in ¼ or ⅓ inch and keep aside.
- heat oil for shallow frying in a pan or kadai.
add the chopped bhindi and fry them till they are crisp. you can fry the bhindi in batches, if you want.
- drain the fried bhindi on paper towels.
whisk the curd (yogurt) in a bowl till smooth.
- add all the spice powders, salt and the fried bhindi. stir.
garnish the okra raita with a few slices of fried bhindi or coriander leaves.
- serve bhindi raita immediately with an indian meal or with dal -rice, jeera rice or veg pulao.
- instead of shallow frying, you can also saute the bhindi in 2 tbsp oil.
stepwise okra raita or bhindi raita recipe:
1. rinse 10 to 12 bhindi (okra) in water well. drain the water.
2. wipe the bhindi with a clean kitchen napkin.
3. chop them in ¼ or ⅓ inch slices and keep aside.
4. heat oil as required for shallow frying bhindi in a pan or kadai. instead of shallow frying, you can also saute the bhindi in 2 tbsp oil.
5. add the chopped bhindi.
6. fry them till they are golden and crisp. you can fry the bhindi in batches, if you want.
7. drain the fried bhindi on paper towels.
8. whisk 1 cup curd (dahi or yogurt) in a bowl till smooth.
9. then add ¼ teaspoon of red chili powder (lal mirch powder), ¼ teaspoon of black pepper powder (kali mirch powder), ½ teaspoon of roasted cumin powder (bhuna jeera powder) and salt as required.
10. next add the fried bhindi. you can keep some fried bhindi for garnishing.
12. mix well.
13. garnish the okra raita with a few slices of fried bhindi or coriander leaves.
- i started vegrecipesofindia.com in feb 2009. it is a pure vegetarian blog and shares recipes with step by step photos.
i am passionate about cooking from childhood and learnt cooking from my elders. a home science degree course further enhanced my cooking and baking skills professionally along with an internship in a five star hotel. i am trained both in mainstream indian as well as international cuisines.
all the 1800 recipes posted on blog are tried and tested and made healthy wherever possible. the recipes are detailed and with step by step pictures that will easily help you to make delicious and tasty vegetarian food.
- Festival Recipes2018.09.19bhakarwadi recipe, how to make bhakarwadi recipe | bakarwadi recipe
- Festival Recipes2018.09.05kozhukattai recipe, how to make kozhukattai recipe for ganesh chaturthi
- Dinner Recipes2018.08.01macaroni recipe | indian style macaroni recipe | macaroni pasta recipe
- Cooking Tips & Methods2018.07.24custard recipe, how to make custard | vanilla custard recipe