Beetroot carrot poriyal recipe – a simple flavorful South Indian dish made with beetroots and carrot. Lightly spiced and topped with coconut. Low fat and vegan recipe.
I usually make poriyals to serve as a side dish as they are quick, simple and easy to make and serve as a great healthy side dish. I have already shared the recipes of Beetroot poriyal, Cabbage poriyal, Vendakkai poriyal and Beans poriyal and will be posting more poriyal recipes soon.
For the unacquainted, Poriyal Is a South Indian dry vegetable preparation that can be made from different veggies like carrot, cabbage, okra, beetroot, potato etc.
To make poriyal, the veggies are first sauteed in spices, steamed and then topped with freshly grated coconut. If you love coconut-based recipes then you must give poriyal a try. The best thing about poriyal recipes is that you get the full flavor of the veggies as they are not very heavily spiced.
You can serve beetroot carrot poriyal with rotis. Or you can also serve them as a side dish with sambar rice or rasam rice combo. I sometimes serve them with dal rice combo also and for me, it goes great.
Few more similar recipes you may like are:
- Beetroot sabji
- Carrot poriyal
- Avarakkai poriyal – made with flat beans or broad beans.
- Kovakkai poriyal – made with ivy gourd.
- Vazhakkai poriyal – made with raw bananas
If you made this recipe, please be sure to rate it in the recipe card below. Sign Up for my email newsletter or you can follow me on Instagram, Facebook, Youtube, Pinterest or Twitter for more vegetarian inspirations.
beetroot carrot poriyal
- 2 medium beetroots
- 1 medium carrot
- 1 green chili - chopped
- 1 teaspoon urad dal
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- 10 to 12 curry leaves
- 1 pinch asafoetida (hing)
- 1 pinch turmeric
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 3 to 4 tablespoon fresh grated coconut
- salt as required
- Rinse, peel and chop the beetroots and carrot, very finely. The more fine, the faster they will cook.
- You can also grate the veggies if you prefer.
- Heat the oil in a pan. Add the mustard seeds and urad dal.
- Fry till the mustard seed make a popping sound and the urad dal get maroonish golden.
- Make sure you don't burn them
- Add the green chilies, curry leaves, turmeric powder and asafoetida. Fry for 10-12 seconds.
- Now add the chopped veggies. Sprinkle salt and stir.
- Cover and let the veggies cook till they are done.
- Sprinkle some water if the moisture dries in the pan.
- Keep on checking during intervals and sprinkle water whenever required.
- When the veggies are cooked well, lastly add coconut and give a stir.
- Before adding the coconut, if there is moisture in the pan, then dry it by simmering on an open flame for a few minutes.
- Sprinkle the coconut and then switch off the flame and cover.
- Stir and then serve beetroot carrot poriyal with rotis or chappatis.
- Or you can also serve it as a side dish with sambar rice or rasam rice combo.
Like our videos? Then do follow and subscribe to us on youtube to get the latest Recipe Video updates.
All our content & photos are copyright protected. Please do not copy. As a blogger, if you you want to adapt this recipe or make a youtube video, then please write the recipe in your own words and give a clickable link back to the recipe on this url.