Banana rasayana recipe with step by step photos – a simple sweet dish made with ripe bananas , coconut milk and jaggery. The dish is from Karnataka cuisine.
Banana rasayana is a sweet dessert like dish. for Navratri fasting, you can have or serve banana rasayana just plain as a dessert. Or else for regular days you can serve it with chapatis, poori or neer dosa or set dosa. The recipe is similar in preparation with the Maharashtrian banana shikran. The difference here is that in shikran milk is added, while in rasayana, coconut milk is added.
You can even make rasayana with fruits like mango, sapota (chikoo), pear or apples. I have also posted Mango rasayana recipe. coconut milk with fruits always taste good. I have used jaggery in the recipe, but you can also add sugar or skip either. In the dish you can add less or more coconut milk as per your preference. This dish is very quick to make, if you have coconut milk ready. Though homemade coconut milk tastes good, but you can use store brought coconut milk too.
I also make a similar recipe with poha and coconut milk or milk. We call it milk aval poha or doodh poha. If you have ripe bananas at home and wondering what to do with them. Then don’t worry, you can make a variety of recipes from them like Banana sheera, banana cake.
Serve banana rasayana as soon as its made. if there is any leftover, then refrigerate. since coconut milk is used, its better to keep in the fridge.
If you are looking for more Sweets recipes then do check:
If you made this recipe, please be sure to rate it in the recipe card below. Sign Up for my email newsletter or you can follow me on Instagram, Facebook, Youtube, Pinterest or Twitter for more vegetarian inspirations.
- 2 medium sized bananas, chopped
- 2 tablespoons powdered jaggery or grated jaggery or add as per taste
- ½ cup thick coconut milk or the first extract of coconut milk
- ¼ teaspoon cardamom powder (choti elaichi powder)
- Peel and chop two medium sized bananas. Take the chopped bananas in a bowl.
- Add 2 tablespoons powdered or grated jaggery and 1/4 teaspoon cardamom powder.
- Mix the jaggery and cardamom powder with the sliced bananas.
- Add 1/2 cup thick coconut milk (first extract of coconut milk).
- Mix very well.
- Serve banana rasayana immediately. If there is any leftover, then refrigerate. Since coconut milk is used, its better to keep in the fridge.
Like our videos? Then do follow and subscribe to us on youtube to get the latest Recipe Video updates.
All our content & photos are copyright protected. Please do not copy. As a blogger, if you you want to adapt this recipe or make a youtube video, then please write the recipe in your own words and give a clickable link back to the recipe on this url.
Like this Recipe?
Pin it Now to Remember it Later
How to make banana rasayana
1. Peel and chop two medium sized bananas. Take the chopped bananas in a bowl.
2. Add 2 tablespoons powdered or grated jaggery and ¼ teaspoon cardamom powder.
3. Mix the jaggery and cardamom powder with the sliced bananas.
4. Add ½ cup thick coconut milk (first extract of coconut milk).
5. Mix very well.
6. Serve banana rasayana immediately. if there is any leftover, then refrigerate. since coconut milk is used, its better to keep in the fridge.