I made this Banana peel thoran after I had made the raw banana chips. A nice way to use the peels, instead of throwing them away.
The banana peel thoran recipe is simple but too delicious. If you have had cooked raw banana, then you can easily know the taste and flavors in this thoran.
Since I a big fan of coconut in any dish, I just had the thoran with some steamed rice without even taking the accompanying dal fry. It was a comforting and satisfying meal.
This is not the traditional way of making this banana peel thoran. generally, fresh coconut is coarsely ground with cumin and green chilies. I have used desiccated coconut powder. Hence have not ground fresh coconut.
So the next time, when you make any dish with raw unripe bananas, don’t throw away the peels. Try making this thoran instead 🙂
If you are looking for Similar recipes then do check:
If you made this recipe, please be sure to rate it in the recipe card below. If you'd like more delicious Indian vegetarian recipes delivered straight to your inbox, Sign Up for my email newsletter. You can also follow me on Instagram, Facebook, Youtube, Pinterest or Twitter for more vegetarian inspiration.
banana peel thoran
- peels removed from 4 medium bananas
- 1 small onion or 2-3 shallots - chopped
- 1 teaspoon black mustard seeds (rai)
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi)
- 1 green chili, chopped (hari mirch)
- 1 dry red chili, kept whole (sookhi lal mirch)
- ½ teaspoon cumin powder (jeera powder)
- 3 tablespoon dessicated coconut or freshly grated coconut
- 10 to 12 curry leaves (kadi patta)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil or coconut oil
- salt as required
preparation to make banana peel thoran
- First rinse the bananas. When removing the peels, soak them in a bowl of water, so that they don't darken.
- You can also soak them in water in which about 1/4 tsp turmeric powder is added.
- Slice the black dark spots from the peels if there are any and chop them finely.
making banana peel thoran
- Heat oil in a pan. First crackle the mustard seeds.
- Add the chopped onion or shallots. Saute till the onions are transparent.
- Now add the red chili, green chili, cumin powder, asafoetida/hing, and curry leaves.
- Saute for some seconds. Add the turmeric powder and stir.
- Add the banana peels and the coconut.
- If using fresh coconut, then coarsely ground the grated coconut, green chilies and cumin seeds and add it at this stage.
- Sprinkle salt and stir. Add about 1/4 or 1/2 cup water. Cover the pan and let the peels cook till they are done.
- Check in between to see the doneness and also to see if the thoran has not dried up whilst cooking.
- Add some more water if required if the peels are still not done and cover and cook further.
- When the peels are cooked and if there is some moisture or water in the pan, then just dry it on low flame.
- Serve the banana peel thoran hot with some steamed rice, accompanied with dal, sambar and rasam.
Like our videos? Then do follow and subscribe to us on youtube to get the latest Recipe Video updates.
All our content & photos are copyright protected. Please do not copy. As a blogger, if you you want to adapt this recipe or make a youtube video, then please write the recipe in your own words and give a clickable link back to the recipe on this url.
Like this Recipe?
Pin it Now to Remember it Later