Chilli Baby corn gravy recipe with step by step photos – as the name suggest this Indo Chinese baby corn recipe is a gravy version… Meaning it has a sauce and is not a dry version.
Whilst the dry version of chilli baby corn makes for a good starter snack, this gravy version can be had as a main course along with some steamed rice, veg fried rice or steamed noodles or veg chow mein noodles.
This baby corn chilli gravy recipe is spicy and the heat depends on the kind of green chillies you use. For a lesser hot dish, you can use chillies which are mild. I have used green chillies which were medium hot. I personally prefer Indo Chinese food to be little bit on the spicier side.
You can serve chilli baby corn gravy with schezwan fried rice or schezwan noodles. We even have it with steamed rice or chappati or bread.
Few more tasty recipes for you!
If you made this recipe, please be sure to rate it in the recipe card below. Sign Up for my email newsletter or you can follow me on Instagram, Facebook, Youtube, Pinterest or Twitter for more vegetarian inspirations.
chinese baby corn chilli gravy
for pan frying the bay corn
- 15 to 18 baby corn
- ¼ cup all purpose flour
- ¼ cup corn starch (corn flour)
- 2.5 to 3 tablespoon water
- salt and black pepper as required
- 3 tablespoon oil for pan frying
for chilli baby corn gravy
- 1 small to medium capsicum, sliced thinly (green bell pepper or shimla mirch)
- 3 medium hot green chilies or 1-2 bird's eye chilies - slit
- 1 medium onion or 3-4 small to medium spring onions - finely chopped
- ½ tablespoon finely chopped garlic
- ½ tablespoon finely chopped ginger
- ½ tablespoon finely chopped celery optional
- 1.5 tablespoon naturally fermented soy sauce or as required
- 2 cups veg stock or water
- 1 tablespoon corn starch/corn flour+ 2 tablespoon water made into a smooth paste
- 1 to 1.5 tablespoon oil
- 1 teaspoon sugar or as required
- ½ teaspoon apple cider vinegar or white vinegar (optional)
- salt as required
- black pepper as required
pan frying baby corn
- Rinse the baby corn first in running water. Then either vertically slice the baby corn or keep them whole if they are small.
- Prepare the batter with corn starch, all purpose flour/maida, salt, black pepper and water. Keep aside.
- Heat 3 tbsp oil in a frying pan till the oil is medium hot.
- Dip each baby corn slice into the batter and coat it well. Slid it in the medium hot oil.
- Similarly dip the remaining slices and coat them well and slid them one by one in the oil.
- Pan fry till the baby corn gets browned from the sides and edges and become crisp.
- Drain on paper towels. Fry the remaining baby corn slices in batches this way.
making chinese chilli baby corn gravy
- In the same pan, add 1 to 1.5 tbsp more oil.
- Bring the flame to medium or high and when the oil becomes hot, add the onions, garlic and ginger. Stir fry for about 2 minutes.
- Then add the green chilies. Stir fry for about a minute. Add the capsicum & celery and stir fry for 2 minutes.
- Reduce the flame and add soy sauce. Stir and then add water, sugar, salt, pepper.
- Increase the flame and allow the sauce to come to a boil.
- Dissolve the 1 tbsp corn starch in 2 tbsp water to a smooth paste. Keep this corn starch paste aside.
- Reduce the flame & add the corn starch paste stirring while adding it. Keep on stirring so that no lumps are formed.
- Add the fried baby corn and simmer on a low to medium flame for 2-3 minutes till the sauce thickens.
- Add the vinegar and simmer for some half a minute.
- Check the taste and add more salt, sugar, black pepper or soy sauce if required. Switch off the flame.
- Serve chili baby corn hot with some fried rice or plain rice or veg noodles.
Like our videos? Then do follow and subscribe to us on youtube to get the latest Recipe Video updates.
All our content & photos are copyright protected. Please do not copy. As a blogger, if you you want to adapt this recipe or make a youtube video, then please write the recipe in your own words and give a clickable link back to the recipe on this url.
Like this Recipe?
Pin it Now to Remember it Later
How to make Indo Chinese chilli baby corn gravy
1. Either vertically slice the baby corn or keep them whole if they are small.
2. Prepare the batter with corn starch, all purpose flour/maida, salt, black pepper and water. Dip each baby corn slice into the batter and coat it well.
3. Then pan fry these batter coated slices in medium hot oil.
4. Pan fry them till they become golden from the sides and crisp.
5. Drain the fried baby corn on paper towels to remove excess oil.
6. In the same pan, add some more 1 to 1.5 tbsp oil. bring the flame to medium or high and let the oil become hot. Add the onions, garlic and ginger stir fry for about 2 minutes.
8. then add the green chilies. stir fry for about a minute.
9. add the capsicum/green bell pepper and stir fry for 2 minutes.
10. reduce the flame and then add soy sauce.
11. stir and then add water, sugar, salt, pepper.
12. increase the flame and allow the sauce to come to a boil. reduce the flame & add corn starch paste stirring while adding it. keep on stirring so that no lumps are formed.
13. add the fried baby corn and simmer on a low to medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes till the sauce thickens.
14. add the vinegar and simmer for half a minute.
15. Serve baby corn chilli hot plain or garnished with spring onion greens. You can serve it with hakka noodles or corn fried rice or veg noodles or steamed noodles. you can even have it with steamed rice or rotis or bread.