Sindhi aloo gobi methi tuk recipe with step by step photos. This is a dry spiced curry made with sauteed potatoes, cauliflower and fresh fenugreek leaves. An easy and delicious recipe from the sindhi cuisine.
I did check this recipe in tarla dalal’s book. But then made my own variations as per the Aloo tuk i often make. The original recipe calls for deep frying of the potatoes and cauliflower. I have partly steamed them first and then sauteed them later. this is also a no onion no garlic recipe.
Aloo gobi methi tuk goes very well with chapatis, phulkas or bread accompanied with a bowl of yogurt or cucumber raita or vegetable raita.
Simple food and healthy too. you can also serve it as a side dish with some steamed basmati rice along with sindhi dal or dal tadka or dal fry.
How to make sindhi aloo gobi methi tuk
1. Rinse, peel and dice 2 potatoes. chop into small pieces so that they are quick to cook.
2. Rinse and chop or break 1 small head of cauliflower (gobi) into small florets.
3. Rinse fresh methi (fenugreek leaves) very well in water.
4. Drain and then chop them finely.
5. In a pan take enough water and add salt. Bring the water to a boil.
6. Add the cauliflower and potatoes to the hot boiling water.
7. cook them for 3-4 minutes.
8. Switch off the stovetop. Cover the pan with the lid.
9. Keep both the veggies immersed in the hot water for about 4 to 5 minutes.
10. Later drain and keep aside.
11. Measure all the spices and keep ready.
Making aloo gobi methi tuk
12. Heat 2.5 tablespoon oil in a non-stick pan or in a thick bottomed pan or kadai. Add ½ teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera).
13. Let them crackle.
14. Then add ¼ teaspoon asafoetida (hing).
15. Stir well.
16. Then add 1.5 teaspoons ginger-green chili paste.
17. Saute for about 15-20 seconds on a low flame.
18. Then add the drained and partly cooked potatoes and cauliflower (gobi).
19. Start sauteing them. Stirring often saute, till light golden spots are seen on cauliflower and the potatoes.
20. Then add 1 cup of chopped fenugreek leaves or methi.
21. Stir well.
22. Then add the following spice powders one by one 1 pinch of turmeric, ¼ teaspoon red chili powder and ½ teaspoon coriander powder.
23. Also add ¼ teaspoon amchur powder (dry mango powder).
24. Mix well.
25. Season with ¼ teaspoon salt or as required.
26. Stir well. Keep on stirring and sauteing the veggies, till the methi leaves are cooked well and become crisp.
27. In the meantime, aloo and gobi would also become crisp and golden.
28. Lastly, before serving add 1.5 teaspoon chaat masala powder.
29. Stir well. Check the seasoning and add more salt, red chili powder, chaat masala or dry mango powder (amchur), if required.
30. serve Sindhi Aloo gobi methi tuk hot or warm with chapatis, rotis or bread.
More veggie recipes
Have you made this recipe and liked it? Please leave a star rating in the recipe card below or share the recipe on facebook, whatsapp, twitter & pinterest. For recipe updates Subscribe to our newsletter and follow us on Facebook, Instagram, Youtube, Pinterest and Twitter.
Like this Recipe?
Pin it Now to Remember it Later
sindhi aloo gobi methi tuk
- 2 medium potatoes or 140 to 150 grams aloo
- 1 small head cauliflower or 100 to 125 grams gobi
- 1 cup fresh fenugreek leaves (methi leaves) - tightly packed
- 1 green chili + ½ inch ginger - made into a paste in a mortar-pestle or about 1.5 teaspoon ginger - green chili paste
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 pinch turmeric powder
- ¼ teaspoon kashmiri red chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon asafoetida powder (hing)
- ¼ teaspoon dry mango powder (amchur powder)
- ½ teaspoon coriander powder (ground coriander)
- 1.5 teaspoon chaat masala
- 2.5 tablespoon oil
- rock salt or black salt as required
- Rinse, peel and dice the potatoes. Chop into small pieces so that they are quick to cook.
- Rinse and chop or break the cauliflower into small florets.
- Rinse the fresh methi/fenugreek leaves very well in water. Drain and then chop them finely.
- Boil enough water with salt in a pan. Add the cauliflower and potatoes to the hot boiling water and cook them for 3-4 minutes.
- Switch off the stove top. Cover the pan with the lid and keep both the veggies immersed in the hot water for about 4 to 5 mins. Later drain and keep aside.
making sindhi aloo gobi methi tuk
- Heat oil in a non-stick pan or in a thick bottomed pan or kadai.
- Add the cumin seeds. when they crackle, add the asafoetida.
- Stir and then add the ginger-green chili paste.
- Saute for about 15 to 20 seconds on a low flame.
- Then add the drained and partly cooked potatoes and cauliflower.
- Saute stirring often till light golden spots are seen on cauliflower and the potatoes.
- Then add the chopped fenugreek leaves or methi.
- Stir well and then add the following spice powders one by one - turmeric, red chili powder, coriander powder and dry mango powder.
- Season with 1/4 teaspoon salt and stir well.
- Keep on stirring and sauteing the veggies, till the methi leaves are cooked well and become crisp.
- In the meantime the potatoes and cauliflower would also become crisp and become golden.
- Lastly, before serving add the chaat masala and stir well.
- Check the seasoning and add more salt, red chili powder, chaat masala or dry mango powder if required.
- Serve sindhi aloo gobi methi tuk hot or warm with chapatis, rotis or bread.
Nutrition Info Approximate values
Like our videos? Then do follow and subscribe to us on youtube to get the latest Recipe Video updates.
All our content & photos are copyright protected. Please do not copy. As a blogger, if you you want to adapt this recipe or make a youtube video, then please write the recipe in your own words and give a clickable link back to the recipe on this url.