potato pomegranate salad recipe – from the time i had seen this aloo anardana salad recipe in jigg kalra’s cookbook “prashad – cooking with indian masters” i wanted to try it. finally gave a try and this has become a most loved and wanted potato salad at home.
this salad is basically made from two ingredients: aloo – potatoes and anardana – pomegranate… spiced with tangy indian spices.
the original recipe has some chana dal (bengal gram) also added, but i skipped adding these lentils. this salad is tart in taste due to lemon juice. and also has a sweet taste due to the pomegranate arils.
so instead of salad, i feel this recipe can also be called as aloo anardana chaat. it is tart, sweet and tangy except spicy. a few qualities found in a chaat. and the salad tasted so much like chaat 🙂
you just need basic veggies like onion & tomatoes along with some indian spice powders like chaat masala and cumin powder. this salad can be served warm or cold. they make excellent starters as well.
if you are looking for more salad recipes then do check:
aloo anardana salad
INGREDIENTS FOR aloo anardana salad
main ingredients for aloo anardana salad
- 2 medium sized potatoes (aloo) - boiled and diced
- ½ cup pomegranate arils
- 1 small onion - finely chopped
- 1 medium size tomato - finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped mint leaves (pudina patta)
- a few mint leaves for garnish
for the dressing
- ¼ teaspoon red chili powder (lal mirch powder) - optional
- 1 teaspoon chaat masala powder
- 1 teaspoon roasted cumin powder (bhuna jeera powder)
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 or 2 tablespoon sunflower oil or peanut oil
- black salt or pink salt or regular salt as required
HOW TO MAKE aloo anardana salad
- in a bowl add the diced potatoes, onion, tomatoes, pomegranate arils, chopped mint leaves and mix gently.
- mix all the ingredients for dressing.
- check the the seasoning and add more of the spice powders if required.
- mix all the spice powders with the lemon juice and oil.
- pour the dressing in the bowl and mix gently.
- serve the aloo anardana salad warm or chilled.
- garnish with mint leaves while serving the aloo anardana salad.