i had come across this recipe in a cookbook and it seemed a breeze to prepare these uttapams. no grinding and fermentation. these uttapams are made from swang ke chawal or sama ke chawal ka atta or barnyard millet flour. so they taste very different and unlike the regular uttapams made from dosa batter.
these are like mini uttapams as the batter does not spread on the pan. so you make small uttapams. i have topped the uttapams with tomatoes and green chilies. you can even add some mashed potatoes or mashed jeera aloo on top of the uttapams. you can also check this sama ke chawal ki idli recipe.
these vrat ka uttapams can be served with plain yogurt or even phalahari chutney or this coconut chutney. if you are not making for fasting then you can serve these vrat ke uttapams with peanut chutney.
if you are looking for more fasting/vrat recipes then do check vrat ke chawal ka pulao, vrat wale aloo, singhare ki puri, phalahari chutney, sabudana vada, aloo tamatar sabzi, rajgira paratha and sabudana khichdi.
vrat ka uttapam recipe below:
vrat ke uttapam recipe
vrat ke uttapam recipe - uttapams made from sama ke chawal or vrat ke chawal flour (barnyard millet flour).
INGREDIENTS (1 cup = 250 ml)
- 1 cup swang ke chawal ka atta (barnyard millet flour)
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera)
- 1 medium tomato, finely chopped
- 1 green chili, chopped (hari mirch)
- ¼ cup chopped coriander leaves (dhania patta)
- rock salt or sendha namak as required
- water as required
HOW TO MAKE RECIPE
- make a thick flowing batter with the vrat ke chawal ka atta, cumin seeds, coriander leaves, rock salt and water.
- heat a skillet or tava.
- spread some oil on the tava.
- with a spoon or ladle pour the batter.
- don't spread as the batter won't spread.
- so you can make small sized uttapams.
- top the tomatoes and green chilies on the uttapam immediately as soon as you spread the batter.
- sprinkle some oil on the top and sides.
- when the base is cooked, flip and cook the tomato-chili side.
- the tomatoes will get slightly browned.
- flip again and cook the plain side.
- serve vrat ke uttapams hot with phalahari chutney or coconut chutney.
lets start step by step recipe of vrat ke uttapam:
1. make a thick flowing batter with the sama ka atta (barnyard millet flour), cumin seeds, coriander leaves, rock salt and water.
2. heat a griddle or tava. spread some oil. pour a small ladle of the batter in a round shaped pancake. don’t spread as the batter is not going to spread. top the tomatoes and green chilies on the uttapam immediately as soon as you spread the batter. sprinkle some oil on the top and sides.
3. when the base is cooked, flip and cook the tomato-chili side.
4. you can also cook two or three uttapams at once on the tava or griddle.
5. when the tomatoes are lightly browned and the base is slightly crisp and browned, remove the uttapam from the pan.
serve vrat ke uttapams hot with phalahari chutney. you can also have these uttapams with homemade tomato sauce.