After the making the Veg Green Thai Curry…. it was time to make the next Thai Curry. After discovering all the thai curries on the internet… i chose to make Veg Thai Red Curry. this also had to be pure vegetarian without any shrimp or fish paste.
I decided to make this delicious curry when my sister had come to meet us. She liked it so much that she too decided to make it back at home. Thai food is amazingly simple to make and yet aromatic, spicy and delicious.
The method for making veg thai red curry is same as the veg thai green curry… just instead of green chillies, red chillies are added to the curry. It is hot, spicy and is a great combination with thai lemon grass rice or even plain rice.
Veg Thai Red Curry: Serves 4
Preparation Time: 10-15 mins
Cooking Time: 20-25 mins
Ingredients for Thai Red Curry:
For the Curry:
- 3 cups of chopped and steamed or lightly boiled mix vegetables (keep the stock for adding to the curry later)
- 1 cup thick coconut milk
- 1 tbsp sesame oil or coconut oil
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 cup chopped thai basil leaves
- sea salt
- 1/2 cup thai red curry paste
For the Red Curry Paste:
- 2 thai chillies
- 2 dry red chillies
- 1/2 inch galangal
- 5-6 garlic cloves
- 2 shallots
- 2-3 kaffir lime leaves
- 2 lemon grass stalks
- 2 tsp coriander seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/4 tsp black peppercorns
- 1 tsp dark soya sauce
- 1/2 tsp lemon zest
- 2 tbsp coconut milk
Method to make the Veg Thai Red Curry Paste:
- take all the all the ingredients for the paste. in the picture below you cannot see the garlic, shallots and lemon zest. i have added the shallots and lemon zest directly to the paste while grinding and the garlic later.
- put them in a grinder and make a coarse paste.
- you see i added the shallots now.
- make the paste with 1 tsp soya sauce and 2 tsbp of coconut milk. check the thai red curry paste in the picture below. i had a lot of paste, so i just added 1/2 cup of red curry paste in this recipe.
To make the Veg Thai Red Curry:
- strain the vegetable stock from the vegetables. keep both the stock and the steamed or lightly boiled vegetables ready.
- In a pan, heat the sesame oil. add the shallots and saute for 2-3 minutes. now add thai red curry paste.
- fry this mixture for a couple of minutes. since i forgot to add garlic to the red curry paste… i add crushed garlic now while sauting the shallots and red curry paste mixture.
- now add 1/2 cup coconut milk to this paste.
- mix the coconut milk with the rest of the red curry paste.
- add the vegetable stock and mix everything.
- bring the curry to boil.
- now add the boiled vegetables.
- add the rest of the coconut milk…
- add sea salt and simmer for 10-12 minutes. now add thai basil leaves and just simmer for a minute.
- garnish the veg thai red curry with that basil leaves and kaffir lime leaves.
- serve the veg red thai curry with lemon grass rice.
Veg Thai Red Curry recipe details are below: