schezwan fried rice recipe with step by step photos – if you crave for something spicy for lunch or dinner, then schezwan fried rice is a good option. its easy to prepare if you have schezwan sauce ready with you.
chopping the veggies does take some time. however, modern gadgets like an electric chopper or food processor makes the work easy. i always prefer to chop the veggies on my own.
the key to a good stir fried dish be it rice or noodles, is the smoky flavor that you get in the dish. now this is achieved by stir frying at a very high heat. when i make these stir fried rice or noodles, i keep the gas flame to the highest. there has to be continuous stirring happening in the wok. keep all your sauces and seasonings ready. you cannot take your own time to open the soy sauce bottle’s lid or open the jar of salt or pepper or chop the celery. just prep everything and keep near your work space. its always better to use a pan or wok with handles as you have to frequently stir and toss.
another key point is to steam the rice and let it cool completely. the rice has to be cooked al dente, meaning just about cooked. in this post i have given the step by step method of cooking the rice. this technique can be implemented if you want to cook rice for any stir fried dish. the veggies can be shredded or julienned or chopped finely.
i had already made the schezwan sauce a day before. you can use make your own sauce or add a store brought one. the amount of schezwan sauce to be added depends on the spice level in the sauce and your taste buds. so please add as per your own taste. i usually keep the rice less spiced than what is served outside in the indo chinese food stalls and restaurants.
schezwan fried rice can be served with recipes like veg manchurian, veg balls in hot garlic, mushroom manchurian, paneer manchurian or any sauce based dish. it also tastes good on its own. i served schezwan fried rice with kale & mushrooms in ginger sauce.
schezwan fried rice recipe below:
- 1.5 cups basmati rice or long grained rice
- 6 cups water
- ½ tsp salt
- 2-3 drops of oil
- 2 or 2.5 cups finally chopped vegetables ( i used 1 medium carrot, 8 french beans, ¼ cup finally chopped cabbage, 1 small capsicum/green bell pepper)
- 1 or 2 spring onions/scallions finely chopped, reserve the greens for garnishing
- 1 tsp finely chopped celery (optional), skip if you do not have.
- 2-3 garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp schezwan sauce or as required - click for the recipe of schezwan sauce
- ¼ tsp black pepper or as required
- ½ tsp rice vinegar or apple cider vinegar or regular vinegar
- 2 tbsp sesame oil or any vegetable oil
- salt as required
- rinse rice very well till the water runs clear of starch. soak the rice in enough water for 30 minutes.
- drain and keep aside.
- in a pot, bring to a gentle boil 6 cups of water with salt and 2 to 3 drops of oil.
- add the soaked and drained rice to the hot water.
- on a low to medium flame cook the rice without the lid.
- when the rice becomes al dente or just cooked, remove the pot from fire and strain the rice.
- gently rinse the rice in water so that they stop cooking and don't stick to each other.
- cover the rice and keep aside.
- finely chop all the vegetables. you can even shred the vegetables in a food processor.
- heat oil in a wok. add garlic and saute for a 15 to 20 seconds.
- add the onions, celery and all the vegetables.
- increase the flame and stir fry the vegetables on a high heat.
- more finely the vegetables are chopped, more faster they will cook.
- keep on stirring and tossing the vegetables on a high heat continuously. so that they are equally browned and cooked.
- when the edges of the veggies starts to become light brown, add schezwan sauce.
- stir and then add the drained rice in parts.
- mix and toss the rice with the veggies gently.
- season with salt, pepper and vinegar. stir and toss well so that the sauce coats all the rice grains evenly.
- garnish the schezwan fried rice with the spring onions greens.
- serve schezwan fried rice plain or with a side indo chinese dish like veg manchurian, mushroom manchurian or any dish of your choice.
step by step schezwan fried rice recipe:
1. rinse the basmati rice, till the water runs clear of the starch. then soak the rice in water for 30 mins. drain and keep aside.
2. bring water, salt and a few drops of oil to a gentle boil.
3. add the drained soaked rice.
4. simmer on a low flame, till the rice grains are just cooked.
5. strain the rice in a colander. rinse the rice with water so that the rice grains stop cooking. gently with your hands, move the cooked rice grains, while rinsing them with water. drain completely. cover and keep aside.
6. chop all the vegetables finely. remember to chop the french beans very finely. they take more time to cook than other veggies. you can also blanch them first and then cook. another option is to add the beans first and then add the other vegetables.
7. heat oil in a pan. add the chopped garlic and saute for about 15 to 20 seconds.
8. now increase the flame to its highest, add all the vegetables including the spring onions and celery.
9. keep on stirring the veggies, till they start getting browned from the edges. it took me about 9 minutes for the vegetables to cook.
10. now add the schezwan sauce.
11. stir well.
12. add the rice in parts and keep on stirring. stir gently as you don’t want the rice grains to break.
13. season with salt, pepper and vinegar.
14. mix and stir fry for 2 to 3 minutes tossing the rice so that the sauce coats each and every rice grain well. check the taste and add more salt, pepper and schezwan sauce if required.
15. garnish with spring onion greens and serve the schezwan fried rice hot with any indo chinese sauce like mushroom manchurian or paneer manchurian or baby corn manchurian or cauliflower manchurian.
Install Free iOS App for Veg Recipes of India Recipes
Install Free Android App for Veg Recipes of India Recipes
Share this recipe - Spread the joy of cooking
Follow us on Social Media