dal is one of the staple dishes in indian cuisine. different types of lentils are used in indian cooking. with these lentils a variety of recipes are prepare and dal is one of them. there are many varieties of dal recipes from each region and state within india, each having their own delicious recipes. though the best accompaniment for dal is steamed rice, but dal also goes equally well with rotis or parathas.
in this recipe collection, i am sharing the top 10 dal recipes that are popular with readers. you can also check these useful recipes collections:
top 10 dal recipes
1. restaurant style dal makhani recipe – dal makhani is one of the most popular punjabi lentil based recipe. dal makhani is made with whole black gram & kidney beans. you could see dal makhani being served in marriages, engagements and almost any parties in india. the more slow cooked dal makhani is, the better it tastes. you can also check this easy home style dal makhani and dhaba style dal makhani recipe.
2. dal fry restaurant style recipe – popular indian dal recipe. dal fry is usually prepared with arhar dal also known as tur, toovar or yellow lentils. you can also use masoor dal or moong dal to make this recipe. dal fry goes well with parathas, rotis, jeera rice or plain steamed basmati rice.
3. restaurant style dal tadka recipe – smooth and creamy dal tempered with indian spices with a smoky charcoal flavor. tadka or chaunk is the hindi word for tempering. in this technique the spices & herbs are fried in oil and then added to the dal.
4. cholar dal recipe – a traditional bengali recipe of chana dal or bengal gram cooked with coconut and spices. traditionally cholar dal is always accompanied with luchi or kachori. but it also goes well with plain steamed basmati rice or jeera rice.
5. varan bhaat recipe – a very popular and comfort food in the region of maharashtra, goa and konkan. delicious lentil stew or dal made with pigeon pea lentils and served with rice. it is also made during ganesh chaturthi festival or during festive occasions or marriages.
6. rajasthani panchmel dal recipe – delicious and aromatic dal made with five lentils. it is also known as panchratna dal. the word panch means five. it is a protein packed dish as it contains the goodness and nutritive qualities of 5 different lentils/dals.
7. dal bukhara recipe – rich, creamy slow cooked whole urad dal (black gram) with tomato puree, butter and cream. a dal recipe made famous by ITC maurya hotel in delhi. combo of dal bukhara and butter naan is too good.
8. dhaba style dal fry recipe – the dhaba food is known for their taste. we love the dal they serve at dhabas. this is a punjabi dhaba style dal fry recipe.
9. chana dal fry recipe – punjabi style bengal gram lentils tempered & flavored with indian spices. the flavors & taste of this chana dal fry is north indian and the preparation is like the way we make in punjabi households.
10. tomato dal or tomato pappu – andhra style tomato dal where pigeon pea lentils are cooked with tomatoes and other spices-herbs. slightly tangy and a flavorful dal best had with steamed rice.
This post was last modified on September 14, 2017, 9:37 pm