Sweet Banana Pooris or Banana Buns as they are known is a recipe from Mangalore in Karnataka. I remember having these sweet buns when my aunt used to get them from Mangalore along with the other manglorean goodies. At that time I did not know how they were made. My aunt originally belonged from manglore and whenever she used to make a visit to mangalore, she would get manglorean sweets and delicacies back to mumbai.
These sweet banana pooris can be had as a breakfast or even as a snack. It is easy and simple to make. The dough can be refrigerated and kept overnight if you want to make the pooris in the morning.
Sweet Banana Pooris Recipe below:
- 1 and half cup flour
- 1 ripe banana
- ½ tsp cumin seeds/jeera
- 1 tsp ghee or oil for kneading the dough
- sugar as per taste
- oil for frying
- water to knead the dough
- Mash the bananas. Immediately add them to the flour. If you keep the bananas outside they become dark. Your dough will also become dark thereby.
- Add cumin seeds, sugar, ghee/oil. Start kneading the dough. Add some water if required. You may not need to any water as you can easily knead the dough with the moisture from the ripe bananas. If not then add some water to knead the dough.
- Knead into a firm dough. If you use the dough fresh, then the dough won’t darken. But if you keep the dough in the fridge, the dough will slightly darken due to the bananas in them.
- On a dusted flour, roll a medium size ball from the dough in to a circular round of about 3 inch diameter. These pooris will be slightly thick than the normal pooris.
- Make the pooris as above and keep aside.
- Cover them with a wet cloth to avoid the pooris from drying up.
- In a deep frying pan or kadai heat oil. On a medium heat, fry the banana pooris as you would fry normal pooris. The pooris puff up while frying. Press lightly so as to puff up the pooris while frying. Avoid frying the pooris on a high heat as the pooris tend to get burnt due to the presence of sugar in them.
- Serve the banana pooris or banana buns with hot indian chai.