spinach fritters recipe with step by step photos – crisp and golden, gram flour batter coated spinach fritters or palak pakoras. here each spinach leaf is dipped in a spiced gram flour batter and then fried.
there is another method of preparing making palak pakoras. chopped spinach leaves are added to gram flour batter and then fried. i have already shared this method in my earlier palak pakoda recipe.
in this recipe variation, the pakoras are very crisp and you get a distinct flavor & taste of spinach. if you are fond of spinach then you might like this variation of making the pakoras.
for people, who wants to make spinach pakoras for religious fasting or vrat can check this palak pakora fasting recipe where they are made with one of the fasting flour – kuttu ka atta or buckwheat flour and onions and garlic are not used.
these spinach fritters are served hot with tamarind chutney or coriander chutney or tomato ketchup. they best go with masala chai or ginger cardamom chai.
if you are looking for more pakora or fritter recipes then do check:
palak pakora or spinach fritters recipe below:
spinach fritters recipe
spinach fritters or palak pakora recipe - crisp fritters made with whole spinach leaf and spiced gram flour batter.
ingredients (1 cup = 250 ml)
- 12 to 15 medium to large fresh spinach leaves (palak ke patte)
- oil for frying the fritters
for the batter:
- 1.5 cups besan (gram flour)
- ½ teaspoon red chili powder (lal mirch powder)
- ¾ teaspoon ajwain (carom seeds)
- 2 teaspoon white sesame seeds (safed til)
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi powder)
- ½ teaspoon garam masala powder
- a generous pinch of asafoetida powder (hing)
- 2 pinches of baking soda
- ¾ to 1 cup water or add as required
- salt as required
how to make recipe?
- mix all the ingredients for the batter to a thick smooth consistency.
- rinse, drain and pat dry the spinach leaves.
- heat oil till medium hot in a pan or kadai.
- dip each spinach leaf into the batter and coat it evenly. place the batter coated leaf gently in the hot oil.
- depending upon the size of your pan or kadai, you can add more spinach leaves for frying.
- fry the spinach fritters till golden and crisp. prepare the remaining fritters or pakoras in the same way.
- drain spinach fritters on paper towels to remove excess oil.
- serve the spinach fritters hot with green chutney, tamarind chutney or homemade tomato sauce. you can also sprinkle some chaat masala on top of the spinach fritters.
step by step palak pakora or spinach fritters recipe:
1. mix all the ingredients for the batter to a thick smooth consistency.
2. rinse, drain and pat dry the spinach leaves. if the leaves are very big, you can chop them into two halves.
3. heat oil till medium hot. dip each leaf into the batter and coat it evenly. place the batter coated leaf gently in the hot oil.
4. fry the spinach fritters till golden and crisp. prepare the remaining fritters or pakoras in the same way.
5. drain spinach fritters on paper towels to remove excess oil.